• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why are AKs so expensive now?

Are any guns cheaper now than they were 10 years ago?
I passed on a new AMD 65 at a gun show back then because I was waiting for the price to drop closer to $300, they were asking $350...not the dumbest decision I've made but I still think about it when I see what people are listing them for now. I'll never be able to afford one.

ARs are much cheaper than they were 10 years ago, even cheaper than 20 years ago.

Back in 2003 Bushmasters started at 800, Colts at 1K. You could get a DPMS or Olympic for around 700. You could build your own for about 600.

I remember a time when 100 dollars for a stripped RRA lower was a good deal and I scooped every complete upper I saw for 400 and under.

The glut of manufacturers that came out of the 2004 AWB sunset and 2008 Obama election has really driven their prices down, especially when you factor in inflation.

ARs are much cheaper than they were 10 years ago, even cheaper than 20 years ago.

Back in 2003 Bushmasters started at 800, Colts at 1K. You could get a DPMS or Olympic for around 700. You could build your own for about 600.

I remember a time when 100 dollars for a stripped RRA lower was a good deal and I scooped every complete upper I saw for 400 and under.

The glut of manufacturers that came out of the 2004 AWB sunset and 2008 Obama election has really driven their prices down, especially when you factor in inflation.
Aren't Colt 6920's still over a grand? And I agree that AR prices may have gotten lower at times but a lot of those manufacturers were producing cheap parts, literally.

Aren't Colt 6920's still over a grand? And I agree that AR prices may have gotten lower at times but a lot of those manufacturers were producing cheap parts, literally.

I see 6920s just under a grand all the time. Rome gun and pawn sells them for around 900 I believe.

On sale at TruPrep TruPrep TruPrep @cmshfor $999 for a Colt 6920.
What, are you giving a free plug for cmshoot cmshoot ?
I see 6920s just under a grand all the time. Rome gun and pawn sells them for around 900 I believe.
That's a good price and I wish I had gotten a Colt 6920 OEM model when they were really cheap, but it's not like quality built ARs are half of what they were. I still see home builds and Franken Ars listed here for close to a thousand dollars.

AR's are the only exception to the rule because of the modularity of them, all the individual parts are able to be be mass produced and any dummy with a few hand tools can assemble them.

Not to mention military contract overruns on parts that spill over into the civilian market.

$300 AK's costing $800 now ain't no different $300 Marlin 30-30's selling for $800 now.

It's not that they're worth more, as much as it's that your dollar is worth less now.

Are any guns cheaper now than they were 10 years ago?
I passed on a new AMD 65 at a gun show back then because I was waiting for the price to drop closer to $300, they were asking $350...not the dumbest decision I've made but I still think about it when I see what people are listing them for now. I'll never be able to afford one.
The AMD65 was just an odd variant. I think you were wise.

Back
Top Bottom