• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Woman killed by her own 2 dogs while on a walk?

Do you think theres ALOT more to this story?

• Total voters
Regardless of any formal study, at this point, I'd say the anecdotal data is overwhelming.
No, it's not. Even in this case the dogs have already been put down without any witnesses to the attack and an utterly ridiculous description of the dogs by LE. Even if it were to come out later that the dogs didn't do it (which I'm sure they aren't even looking into the possibility of) it would never make the national news like the idea that they did it has.

When you understand that 82% of the time when a dog is called a pit bull in an attack the breed has been misidentified, the value of the anecdotal evidence is exactly zero.

No, it's not. Even in this case the dogs have already been put down without any witnesses to the attack and an utterly ridiculous description of the dogs by LE. Even if it were to come out later that the dogs didn't do it (which I'm sure they aren't even looking into the possibility of) it would never make the national news like the idea that they did it has.

When you understand that 82% of the time when a dog is called a pit bull in an attack the breed has been misidentified, the value of the anecdotal evidence is exactly zero.

The preliminary ME investigation indicates she had dog bites on her hands and arms that indicate she was trying to defend herself from dogs. They haven't found any evidence at the scene of other animals. The dogs' bodies have been preserved for further investigation. I'd say LE is doing it correctly.

Meantime, are you going to seriously suggest that this woman's dogs don't appear to be a typical a typical, pitbull/terrier breed mix?

bethany-stephens-1.jpg

You need to do a reality check on the lenses you are using to view these types of attacks. You can only excuse away so much.

The preliminary ME investigation indicates she had dog bites on her hands and arms that indicate she was trying to defend herself from dogs. They haven't found any evidence at the scene of other animals. The dogs' bodies have been preserved for further investigation. I'd say LE is doing it correctly.

Meantime, are you going to seriously suggest that this woman's dogs don't appear to be a typical a typical, pitbull/terrier breed mix?

bethany-stephens-1.jpg

You need to do a reality check on the lenses you are using to view these types of attacks. You can only excuse away so much.
I'm not saying they didn't do it. Any dog can become aggressive. What I am saying is that if it went down as they are saying it did it would be highly aberrant behavior for any dog and there has to have been some other contributing factor. I'm also saying they have not finished the forensic investigation and they need to... badly.

The dog in the pic is obviously a pit or pit mix. It is also obviously not even close to 125lbs, which is how LE described the dogs, so...:noidea:

I'm also wondering this. If the dogs were so aggressive as to have done this, why didn't they attack the officers on the scene? Why didn't the officers simply shoot them, rather than going through what should have been the very dangerous processes of capturing them?

There are just way too many WTFs in this story.

Something else you should know about me. I will not defend an aggressive dog regardless of breed. In one of the cases I was involved in as an expert for the court, the attack was clearly by a pit bull. My recommendation was to put the dog down and abort the pregnancy of a female the dog had bred with to avoid any possibility of passing along any aggressive trait from the male. I have no bias, but I do battle the clear bias that many people have towards pits because I know they are no more likely to be human aggressive than any other breed of dog.

I'm not saying they didn't do it. Any dog can become aggressive. What I am saying is that if it went down as they are saying it did it would be highly aberrant behavior for any dog and there has to have been some other contributing factor. I'm also saying they have not finished the forensic investigation and they need to... badly.

The dog in the pic is obviously a pit or pit mix. It is also obviously not even close to 125lbs, which is how LE described the dogs, so...:noidea:

I'm also wondering this. If the dogs were so aggressive as to have done this, why didn't they attack the officers on the scene? Why didn't the officers simply shoot them, rather than going through what should have been the very dangerous processes of capturing them?

There are just way too many WTFs in this story.

A lot of the questions you are posing were covered in the second press conference. The sheriff said that it was extremely dark on the scene when they arrived (middle of the night, in the woods). They didn't have the benefit of truck-based lighting until the F.D. was called in later. They didn't know at the time whether the dogs were responsible, couldn't tell how much blood the dogs had on them, whether it was foul play, etc. They were trying to make a decision whether to capture or kill the dogs, when a friend of the victim said he could capture the dogs, and did.

The ME stated it was not a homicide and the forensic evidence is consistent with a canine mauling. They did a CAT scan on her remains before the autopsy, to look for evidence of foul play (strangulation, blunt force trauma, among other things). Nothing found. She had defensive wounds on her body that were consistent with a canine attack.

The sheriff said that since the event, he had done a lot of research on maulings, including reaching out to other nearby LE agencies to get feedback on their experiences with similar attacks.

Also, just because a dog is triggered to attack, doesn't mean that, after the attack is over, it randomly attacks everything and anything from that point on. Barring some type of disease or pathogen, dogs usually return to "normal" behavior patterns after these events. With your experience, I'm sure you know this.

Also, why aren't there any pics of the dogs after they were captured by LE?

It's not like they needed a BOLO. They may have taken pics. If so, perhaps they weren't released. They did capture the dogs, which is certainly better than pictures. They haven't released the video evidence of the scene, either. They showed it in a private setting to members of the press, without releasing it to the public. Maybe they showed the press pics of the dogs, too.

Are you suggesting that the cops in this case have some sort of cover up motive? Anti-pit bull motive? Why?

I have no bias, but I do battle the clear bias that many people have towards pits because I know they are no more likely to be human aggressive than any other breed of dog.

Except the evidence continues to pile up that pits and pit mixes kill people with a frequency not seen with other canine breeds.

Back
Top Bottom