Won’t accelerate past 60-65

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shalashaska523

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
28   0
Reaction score
hey everyone I hope this is the right spot to put this. I own a 2003 Mazda Tribute who in the past few days doesn’t want to accelerate easily at highway speeds. I checked the atf fluid and it’s fine, added some oil and coolant as they were both low but this problem still persists.

The idle drops a little and returns when first cranked but doesn’t go below 500. I’ve also noticed a noise when it’s first started that sounds like a spray bottle (?) the Rpms change as the noise goes on but it settles and isles normally with the noise happening every now and then accompanied by a rpm drop and return.

While driving on the highways it will sit between 2500 and 3000 rpm and will not gain speed. Even when the gas is pressed more it doesn’t accelerate. When it’s floored it drops gears and the rpms run really high (maybe 5000-6000)and I let off the gas because I don’t want to make things worse.

Any ideas tips or pointers are welcome. If need be I’ll take video or pics of the engine bay.

Sounds like a vacuum leak. Check the condition of any small rubber hoses that run to your intake and throttle body. They can dry rot over time.

As stated before, if the honeycomb in the cat. conv. brakes, and a large chunk blocks exh. flow, it'll cause a tremendous loss of power. Have someone rev the engine, while you hold your hand at the tailpipe(the car's, not their's). If there's very low output, the exh. is blocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom