• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Your Thoughts on a 5.7x28

I just got 1000 rounds shipped of the blue tipped 5.7x28 from psa for $359 for a friend. That's a big pistol to conceal though. I don't think the PMR 30 compares to it well at all. The PMR is more of a toy, the FN is a very nice pistol.
"for a friend"..
Don't be embarrassed, step out of the shadows. Many of us own 5.7 without stigma.
Kidding of course..

Have carried FN 57.
As with any carry, your body type and the location on your body of where you carry will determine how it prints, addressing the size issue. Weight, fully loaded is incredibly lite and comfortable, especially for long periods of time. If you everyday carry, that is a huge return on investment. Holsters are readily available for average prices. Mags are available and cheaper than HK mags in 10, 20 or 30 rd versions (30 rd adds about 1.5 inches to the grip). Ammo goes on sale at places like Adventure Outdoors and Academy for $17.50 a box of 50 (blue tip) and you can still get the red tip for about $45 for 50 rds - saw cases of Red tip for sale at Clydes Armory in Athens a couple months ago - it is not banned. Train with blue, carry red (or black, if you find it). Accuracy, once you train with it is excellent. Almost no recoil.
Super high velocity is helpful when penetrating things like light body armor, and automotive glass. With that said, you must be aware of your surroundings as the round will penetrate and exit - possibly causing collateral damage beyond the target (unless it hits a solid mass). A shot through a fleshy part and it will still go through drywall wall behind target and lodge into whatever is behind the drywall. Think hitting target in a house and they are standing in ft of your kids bedroom...
Muzzle flash and noise are not going to keep you concealed, but if you are in a self defense mode, that will not matter.
As mentioned, Secret Service used them - and from most accounts, loved them. Government contracts changed that, not preference.
As far as cost of weapons, just saw these on sale for $1050, again at Adventures Outdoors - just using them as an example, as I saw thier sales flyer - AO haters just settle down. Cost - Kimber, HK, Colt price range - price is relative, depending pn your situation. As mentioned, you can resell it quickly, if you need.
I don't 'everyday, all day' carry now, but if I did... I am still a 5.7 fan.
My $.02

I used the S6 Trident, which I don't think they make anymore. It's was segmented brass but not once did it break up as it was supposed to. And only part of the time would it even tumble.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Ahh that is why. That load blows Hillary's dong . S4M and T6B are where it's at . I've seen several charging pit bulls take a direct hit with a 45 and keep trucking .

I then saw two take single one hitter quitters with the S4M . It's nasty stuff .

I love it out of the PS90, awesome gun. The pistol is a bit large. I recommend it, don't think I'd carry it for EDC.

FWIW - Weapon of choice for the Secret Service for years.
It's still in current use by the protection group of the President of India . It's widely used . You just have to test and know what rounds you are picking

Ahh that is why. That load blows Hillary's dong . S4M and T6B are where it's at . I've seen several charging pit bulls take a direct hit with a 45 and keep trucking .

I then saw two take single one hitter quitters with the S4M . It's nasty stuff .
If I ever own another one I'll try that round for sure.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

With the 5.7 it's all about ammo selection. Here are my favorites :

From left to right :

S4M , PenetraTOR2.0, T6B , ss198 and SS190 for scale (I don't use SS190 as it just zips through plus it's a no no)

image.jpg

Back
Top Bottom