• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Yugo m70 vs Mak 90?

yugo m70ab2 or norinco mak 90

• Total voters
You will be happy with either one.
If I had a choice I would have picked an uncorveted Saiga for even less money (if they were being imported), and converted it myself. I like it more than either Yugo or Mak90.
I know many people dismiss a need for chrome-lined barrel and chamber, unless you shoot corrosive ammo.
I grew up around AKs, and CL is not just about corrosive ammo. It is about keeping your chamber as smooth and hard as it can be, so thousands of rounds later, lacquer from ammo does not become a problem and empty cases stick in the chamber of the gun.

For a truck gun, where moisture can condense in the gun from wet boots, AC and temperature swings chrome lining is also important.

^^^Listen to this man, he speaks the TRUTH!^^^

You will be happy with either one.
If I had a choice I would have picked an uncorveted Saiga for even less money (if they were being imported), and converted it myself. I like it more than either Yugo or Mak90.
I know many people dismiss a need for chrome-lined barrel and chamber, unless you shoot corrosive ammo.
I grew up around AKs, and CL is not just about corrosive ammo. It is about keeping your chamber as smooth and hard as it can be, so thousands of rounds later, lacquer from ammo does not become a problem and empty cases stick in the chamber of the gun.

For a truck gun, where moisture can condense in the gun from wet boots, AC and temperature swings chrome lining is also important.

^ Yep there you go.

And if you're going to take training courses, get the WASR. You won't have any proprietary furniture issues to deal with like the other two. Stock AKs are sexy to look at it, but you'll find very quickly when taking a class that they leave a lot to be desired from a practical standpoint. There is a reason why the Russians aren't running around today with pretty laminated wood stocks after all...

Honestly neither will do more than a new WASR10...except cost more.

I can't think of a better "cheap" utility AK. It checks all the boxes, just isn't glamorous. If you look you can find Arsenals for the $700-800 range.

Mak 90 all day. Thicker stamped receiver 1.5MM thick VS 1 MM thick. Thicker barrel. And there aint a darn thing wrong with Chinese steel. In fact many gunsmiths really don't want to mess with machining on Norincos because Chinese steel is very very hard on tools. The double hook trigger is also superior and probably the best AK trigger short of aftermarket you can get.
Yeah I remember back when everyone used to joke about the Norincos being super cheap Chinese junk guns when they were first imported but now it seems most folks know the truth and they are one of the most desireable.
Some parts like stocks and handgaurds take a little massaging and material removal to fit to a MAK90 because of the thicker dimensional differences.

Get the MAK no reason to look back.

Mak 90 all day. Thicker stamped receiver 1.5MM thick VS 1 MM thick. Thicker barrel. And there aint a darn thing wrong with Chinese steel. In fact many gunsmiths really don't want to mess with machining on Norincos because Chinese steel is very very hard on tools. The double hook trigger is also superior and probably the best AK trigger short of aftermarket you can get.
Yeah I remember back when everyone used to joke about the Norincos being super cheap Chinese junk guns when they were first imported but now it seems most folks know the truth and they are one of the most desireable.
Some parts like stocks and handgaurds take a little massaging and material removal to fit to a MAK90 because of the thicker dimensional differences.

Get the MAK no reason to look back.
Compared to what? The M70 has those in addition to having an RPK trunnion. :der:

School me fellas
what I can find says recievers are stamped from .9 sheet, was unaware later B2 models were 1.5MM

Can add that the MAK90 is chrome lined and can add some corrosion resistance to help combat old com bloc surplus ammo.

Also seems the manufacturers went from double hook triggers to single hook triggers on the B2 to accommodate room for a rate reducer inside the receiver?

Last edited:
I've owned and currently have several guns that I have treated like crap that don't have chrome lined barrels. They work fine and and accuracy is fine. I only use non corrosive ammo

The only "plus" I see for the Mak is a CL barrel...but really that's a moot point.

Depending on who you believe, the Receiver Thickness of the MAK-90 is either 1.5 mm or 1.6 mm--And as everyone mentions, the MAK-90's Barrel & Chamber are Chrome-lined and the Gas Piston is Chrome-plated--Even if you NEVER Fire Corrosive Ammo, IMHO, the Chromed components "Clean Up" easier--There must be a REASON the MAK-90 is leading about 2 to 1 in the Poll--Just sayin'... :) ....mikey357

Back
Top Bottom