• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

12 Questions! Proud new 7.3 owner needs your 4x4 awesomeness advice!

Nate

Default rank 5000+ posts
GET TO DA CHOPPA!
286   0
Reaction score
Hey guy,
Today I became the proud new owner of a 2002 Ford Excursion XLT 4x4 with the last great diesel engine (7.3 Powerstroke). I know these engines are well loved but I really don't know that much about them. School me on it and share your favorite references.

I bought this truck to have the best camper-hauling family adventure SUV on the planet and to haul my tractor occasionally. I hope to haul a my family and a camper all over the US in this beast, so I don't want to do anything to limit the towing capability or reliability of the truck

I've never had an awesome 4x4 before so i would like your input regarding a few mods I am considering. Feel free to throw in whatever comments/advice you like. I like to buy quality tools and I am looking to splurge a bit on making this my dream truck but I am also a cheapskate and want to get the best value (or bang for my buck) on any mods I do.

First, what I don't want:
-NO TUNERS! I want to keep the engine stock.
-no lift kits (maybe a leveling kit) or giant tires
-rims
-stereos

What I would like to know more about:
Bumpers/brush guards/winches - The current bumper has a pretty good dent so I was considering replacing it with a nice unit like the ranch hand shown below. (https://www.ranchhand.com/front-bumper-fbf995blr-1.html)
1) What do you think of ranch hand?
2) What other brands do you like?

I would like the bumper system to accommodate a winch but I have also seen the suggestion that a winch could be inserted into a receiver hitch on the front.
3) What are your thoughts about mounting the winch on the brush guard vs a receiver?
upload_2017-3-18_22-19-3.png

Winches- I know almost nothing about winches. I'm not sure what I would use the winch for but I feel like it would be an awesome tool to have.
4) Is Warn the only option or are there other good brands to consider?
5) Do I really need a 15,000 lb winch? lol
6) Any special features I should be looking for?

Leveling kit - again I know almost nothing about lift kits. I don't want to jack this thing up. Just want to give it a little more aggressive stance.
7) school me - I know nothing! I don't want it to ride like crap. How should it be done? replace the leaf springs? air bags? what about something like this http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/lift-kits/leveling-kits/ford/excursion/107010-tx.html?c=230&i=1?

Air bags in the rear for towing
My max load will be around 10,000 lbs and I plan to get a load leveling hitch.
8) What do you think of air bags in the rear to even out heavy loads

Roof racks
9) Thoughts? Preferred brands?

And finally... some pics of the truck!!!! Here are some of the details

205k miles,
4" Magnaflow turbo back exhaust 10) thoughts?
S&B cold air filter system, 11) thoughts?
Bullydog boost, tranny temp, and exhaust temp gauges.
4x4
the previous owner didn't trust the 4x4 selector to engage the 4x4 and installed Warn manual locking hubs 12) thoughts?
Green
9 seater cloth interior

upload_2017-3-18_23-4-32.png

upload_2017-3-18_23-4-57.png

upload_2017-3-18_23-5-43.png

Thanks guys, looking forward to learning from y'all on the subject

It will last the longest if you keep it stock. However, an edge tuner, used as a monitor only (and diagnostic tool) will let you see EGT and especially in the 98-02 models, transmission temp if it is an automatic. Just a few minutes of over-temp (on a long steep grade) on that transmission and it is toast. If you tow a lot, a transmission cooler might be considered. The boys at Powerstroke Specialties in Buford can offer the best advise.

I am thinking about putting a brushguard/winch on mine just in case I have to push some things off the freeway.

It will last the longest if you keep it stock. However, an edge tuner, used as a monitor only (and diagnostic tool) will let you see EGT and especially in the 98-02 models, transmission temp if it is an automatic. Just a few minutes of over-temp (on a long steep grade) on that transmission and it is toast. If you tow a lot, a transmission cooler might be considered. The boys at Powerstroke Specialties in Buford can offer the best advise.

I am thinking about putting a brushguard/winch on mine just in case I have to push some things off the freeway.

Yea the previous owner installed a transmission temp gauge and one for exhaust temp too

Good idea. I recommend an additional transmission cooler. Anything to help keep that puppy cooler will help it live longer

Back
Top Bottom