• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1911 for self defense?

Looking forward to the course. Great content and my Asst Instructor this go 'round is my favorite to work with. He's got loads of experience.........he better, he's an old man (I didn't say that)! Over 20 years experience as a SWAT officer in the New Orleans area and one of the few LEO's I know to have actually used an SMG "for real". I sometimes have to translate for him, his redneck bayou English being gibberish sometimes. I understand it and can translate, but I don't speak it!

Looking forward to the course. Great content and my Asst Instructor this go 'round is my favorite to work with. He's got loads of experience.........he better, he's an old man (I didn't say that)! Over 20 years experience as a SWAT officer in the New Orleans area and one of the few LEO's I know to have actually used an SMG "for real". I sometimes have to translate for him, his redneck bayou English being gibberish sometimes. I understand it and can translate, but I don't speak it!

You should probably let GeauxLSU GeauxLSU tag along as a translator.

Patronus, I'm teaching a Combat Handgun course in Carrollton on September 26. I am offering you a FREE slot in the course if you'd like to attend. I will run a P229 for all the demos I will be shooting, including the Tactical Pistol Course test at the end.

You've made multiple comments to me in this thread without knowing who I am. I replied to the first one, but you ignored it. So, come on out and shoot with me for free. http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/combat-handgun-saturday-september-26-carrollton-ga.978073/

I almost want to be a smart ass to you so I can get a free class too. On second thought- think I will save up for it.:)

I am perfectly comfortable with a 1911 or any modern proven poly gun. Carried a 1911 vintage 1955 in the USMC and was happy with it on my hip.

One of the great things about a full-size, steel-framed 1911 is that if you run out of ammo, you can beat a horse to death with it! Big ol' chunk o' steel.

M1 garand design has been around for years... I don't use one of those at work... Tech progresses... 1911 is a cool gun, but it's a Saturday afternoon gun much like my garand. Just saying...

Bottom line: If you like the 1911 platform and don't mind a little extra weight, then train with it and carry it. If you choose one from a trusted manufacturer, I'm sure it'll serve you well. If you prefer a lighter, higher capacity polymer pistol, then pick your poison, train with it and carry it. There is no universal "one fits all" carry gun choice. You just have to pick what works best for you and roll with it. The most important thing (IMHO) is to put a bunch of rounds through it and make sure it's reliable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom