• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

22lr host quandary

Kaikias

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
25   0
Reaction score
Well I think I've decided on a suppressor, the Spectre II, now I need some help deciding on a bolt action host.
I've narrowed it down to a pair of rifles in the savage line, the difference boils down to a 16inch vs 21inch barrel. For those of you using bolt actions as a host, would you prefer the shorter or longer barrels? This will be mostly used for bench shooting, maybe varmint shooting at some point if suppressor use is legalized for hunting.

I'm leaning towards the 16inch since it already comes with a threaded barrel and some other nifty features, logically the shorter barrel also makes sense because it would result in less velocity, am I correct in my thinking?

Let me know- thanks.

CZ and you'll never regret it. Find you a 453
3 out of 3 pigeons hate CZ
i276.photobucket.com_albums_kk6_bcr308_14FF0E02_5545_4AA0_BD534d35a2f5517d4ebc1f10f1bccfe71cdc.jpg

Last edited:
FVSR is the gold standard of bolt action rimfire hosts. That extra five inches of barrel is not going to gain you anything but a really long gun when suppressed.

Well I think I've decided on a suppressor, the Spectre II, now I need some help deciding on a bolt action host.
I've narrowed it down to a pair of rifles in the savage line, the difference boils down to a 16inch vs 21inch barrel. For those of you using bolt actions as a host, would you prefer the shorter or longer barrels? This will be mostly used for bench shooting, maybe varmint shooting at some point if suppressor use is legalized for hunting.

I'm leaning towards the 16inch since it already comes with a threaded barrel and some other nifty features, logically the shorter barrel also makes sense because it would result in less velocity, am I correct in my thinking?

Let me know- thanks.

I have the 16" FV SR and love it. Crazy quiet, accurate and a great price.

I have a 20" in 17HMR and 2 16"ers in 22LR. 2 are in the Boyd's stocks and one in a custom thumb hole stock. I run a spectre II on mine.

i would worry more about the stock than the barrel length.
Take the cheap plastic stock off and replace it with something better. You'll like the 16" just fine.

CZ and you'll never regret it. Find you a 453

You know I really love CZ products and was considering it, but then I did some thinking- for half the price I can get a threaded savage leaving me quite a bit of money for a new stock, the only weakness I see with the savage rifle.

I have a 20" in 17HMR and 2 16"ers in 22LR. 2 are in the Boyd's stocks and one in a custom thumb hole stock. I run a spectre II on mine.

i would worry more about the stock than the barrel length.
Take the cheap plastic stock off and replace it with something better. You'll like the 16" just fine.

I will definitely be doing that and have always liked the look of thumb-hole stocks, any suggestions on brands to look at? I've already looked at the boyd ones but they're all out of stock.

uh, CZ blows savage out of the water. anyways. anything past 16" and you lose velocity. 5 fps per inch either way. go with a 16 and dont look back.

Back
Top Bottom