• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

$3000-$5000 firearm investments?

First of all, it wouldn't be full-auto.... investing on the ATF and Congress keeping the laws consistent over the lifetime of any investment is a suckers bet.

A political swing left and everything is banned. A swing to the right and the post-86 restriction goes away. Either way the value of your investment drops like a rock, maybe all the way to zero.

Best bets to me are guns that:
1) That are out of production.
2) That were expensive at the time they were sold.
3) That have something unique about them.

The Pythons are a good example, although the best Python would be one you could prove belonged to someone famous, or at least cool. A better example is the S&W Registered Magnum, since the owners were encouraged to send back their information to S&W. One of these sold to a famous movie actor or politician can easily be a 5-figure gun.

My bet would be on a Python that's in good shape and has the box & doc. Those count for a ton in the collector market. If you can get provenance as well, so much the better.

On a side note, you could buy a Colt 1911, Gold Match or some well recognized brand, on the assumption that Colt will go belly up in a few years. The "Colt 45" is the only gun they make today that might be even slightly collectible in the future though.

Another good investment might be Gen 1 and maybe even Gen 2 Glocks in excellent condition. For your $3K investment you could probably buy quite a few variations.

Glock is hardly likely to go out of business, but the odds of them ever making another Gen 1 is pretty much zero. Also, there aren't many out there, and there are even fewer that weren't beat to snot. I'd buy $600 Glocks all day if they were in-the-box, Gen1 G17s with a low round count.

Last edited:
FIrst of all, it wouldn't be full-auto.... investing on the ATF and Congress keeping the laws consistent over the lifetime of any investment is a suckers bet.

The ATF and congress is known for keeping unconstitutional laws in place. Thus for to me you have a better chance of the python being put back into production before the ATF or congress giving us our rights back.

Also , as much as I hate to admit it: People who have a TON invested in machine guns will lobby AGAINST the very idea of making machine guns like title 2 guns. They have the most to lose. JMO

Id be HAPPY to take a 4,800 dollar loss on my sten if I could legally convert firearms to full auto. Lets face it. My sten is a 200 dollar piece of crap BUT because its a registered full auto.. Its worth a lot more because of a law that is very unlikely to ever be overturned in our lifetime.

Last edited:
The ATF and congress is known for keeping unconstitutional laws in place. Thus for to me you have a better chance of the python being put back into production before the ATF or congress giving us our rights back

Agreed... I'd be a lot more likely to bet that there value would drop to zero when they were banned from possession, rather than just drop a lot because we have a competitive market again.

I just see the current 'compromise' as something that is inherently unstable. The anti's already have the law on their side, saying anything post-86 is 'too dangerous' for normal civilians. It wouldn't take a lot to extend that to pre-86 guns as well.

there's definitely nothing wrong with owning a FA gun, I'm kicking the idea around myself. But that would be as a range toy and a cool piece of hardware, not as any kind of investment...

Agreed... I'd be a lot more likely to bet that there value would drop to zero when they were banned from possession, rather than just drop a lot because we have a competitive market again.

I just see the current 'compromise' as something that is inherently unstable. The anti's already have the law on their side, saying anything post-86 is 'too dangerous' for normal civilians. It wouldn't take a lot to extend that to pre-86 guns as well.

there's definitely nothing wrong with owning a FA gun, I'm kicking the idea around myself. But that would be as a range toy and a cool piece of hardware, not as any kind of investment...
Sure enough. I bought mine as an investment that I can still use daily. Due to my love of the show "american Greed" I will never invest. This is my poor attempt at trying.

Anything that says "Colt" on it

anything that is no longer in production, or can have sentimental value to someone

Nylon 66
old lever action rifles
old single action army's
semi automatic 1911s or lugers from the war
SNAKE GUNS, SNAKE GUNS, SNAKE GUNS

If i had complete hindsight I would have gone back 6 years ago and spent 300K on snake guns, and right now I wouldn't be worrying about money any more

Browsing the classifieds I see a couple of Colt Pythons. I know they fetch a $2500-$3500 premium and are highly desirable since they are no longer in production. My question is if you had $3000 to spend what gun would you buy as a quasi investment?

Three years ago I would have said go for a nice lettered model of a S&W Registered magnum for that price range. But now you'll have to cough up twice that much :doh:

Reactions: JWC
Full Auto Macs are a good investment!

They are a NFA investment, but don't expect them to appreciate as much or as fast as many other MGs. Simply because of the sheer number of them out there and the quality of them. (I say that as a owner of multiple Mac SMGs.)

Wish I could find a full auto for 3k. I am looking to get into a MAC for around 4k and am starting to think I will need to increase my budget.

They sometimes happen. I came across one last year and jumped. But you've got to be in the right place, at the right time, and have the cash in your hand right then for it. I know a customer of mine sold one M10 recently for nearly $5K. And is in talks to part with the last two as a package deal. My advise is to setup an alert on GB for macs and if a Buy it now pops up to JUMP on it. Or if a no-reserve comes up, watch it and jump in at the end. (Last 16 minutes would be the sniper way....)

I've got a Lage Max-11 MK1 upper for my M11/9. But honestly I like my Max-31a upper for my M11A1 best. Drum mags can still be had, but not for $19 anymore.

Back
Top Bottom