• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.357SIG: What’s the point of this cartridge?

I have a G31, G32, G33, G24 with a 6" Lone Wolf .357 barrel in it (badass), and a S&W M&P 40 2.0 with a 357 barrel in it.

Interesting, older from 2006. Curious if there was anything further?

https://www.studentnewsdaily.com/da...marshals_warn_their_bullets_are_too_powerful/

Whoever they talked to are idiots. .357 holes in an airplane fuselage are not “catastrophic”. At best, very noisy. They’ve tested this.

As soon as you give someone ammo that won’t shoot through stuff, you’ll need to shoot through stuff. Even frangible loads punch though plastic and thin aluminum. Design a bullet that won’t, and it won’t punch through bone, either.

I was a Lead Firearms Instructor for the FAMS when this article was written. No one talked to me or my peers.

Been privy to the inside discussions/decisions in administrations, cost is always tantamount until a failure of some sort. Like shootouts where tactic and weapon systems failed drastically.
I think 9mm is a great choice for most jobs in LE. I has checks in most of the little boxes.
But I think each sub agency should pick ammo where it fits into their primary missions.
Some missions primarily need ammo that penetrates a vehicle and maintains lethal energy, others need low pressure expansion due to the crowded confines and damage to the surroundings, such as buses and planes, or certain structures.
I don’t believe the one size fits all is the only way to go.

Seems to me most missions are situational in almost every LE agency, so I don't see how they can know exactly what they may need at any given time. Same with us as armed citizens, and literally any other walk of life. I do believe an officer should have more than one option, though.

Whoever they talked to are idiots. .357 holes in an airplane fuselage are not “catastrophic”. At best, very noisy. They’ve tested this.

As soon as you give someone ammo that won’t shoot through stuff, you’ll need to shoot through stuff. Even frangible loads punch though plastic and thin aluminum. Design a bullet that won’t, and it won’t punch through bone, either.

I was a Lead Firearms Instructor for the FAMS when this article was written. No one talked to me or my peers.
Worst damage would probably be if a hydraulic line or cable was damaged.
I do see the point, and I noticed you didn’t address the issue of over penetration on humans. I’ve read somewhere that the faster bullet expands and stops in flesh faster even with the increased velocity?
But I know for a fact that’s the same issue with quite a few 9mm as well. Once found the bullet involved in a murder that went through a bigger than average size man, continued about 25-30’ bounced off a concrete wall and continued about 40-50’ where if hit another concrete wall and landed in a pile of swept up cigarette butts, took us hours to find it.
Was not a decent SD ammo... Amazing no one else was injured.

Calling a hole by a .357 Sig round catastrophic is just stupid. Anyone remember Aloha Airlines Flight 23? It took an approximately 10" square hole torn by stress and fatigue on a worn out airframe to cause the entire front fuselage to ripped be off. The aircraft landed safely. One death and 65 injuries. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aloha_Airlines_Flight_243

Given the changes made after this accident and how aircraft are built today (unless it is by Boeing :) ) I seriously doubt a couple of .357 sig rounds will cause an explosive decompression.

Back
Top Bottom