• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

9/17/18

I'm out for now, may head back in the evening. Stalk walking after my butt went numb, following game trails.
Anyone know what kind of rub this is? I have seen pigs in the area.
20180917_110245.jpg
20180917_110234.jpg

Skinny...ribs showing...that's a sick 5pt. Too much to eat this time of the year not to be healthy.

Could be that deer found a corn feeder and won’t eat anything else which makes them feel full but doesent provide nutrition.

Either that or there’s a large deer population in the area but I’ve seen my share of rib laden deer, mostly loner does that are small are the ones I usually see with ribs showing late summer but they usually fatten up by late oct.

So did ya shoot this one, LH? I might have just to get him out of the herd especially since you have corn out. If he's diseased, him slobbering on the corn is only gonna infect the others... maybe DNR would like to know?

Could be he had a run-in with a car...broken jaw, or something else...anyway he's dying slow...
May have an overpopulation causing starvation. Either way shoot it.

I didn't shoot it but you guys are making a good case for to take it next time.

Is there a picture I missed or something? :confused: Deer often have ribs showing and the same deer from different angles can go from looking anorexic to more than healthy in a few degrees. I wish I had kept some recent videos from my cams....
I'm not saying the sighted deer doesn't have a problem, but "ribs showing" isn't necessarily indicative of a problem, regardless of time of year.

I was always told deer put on weight in the Spring and Fall and lose weight during stresses brought on by Summer and Winter. Based on the pics I've pulled over the years, I always thought it was normal to see skinny deer going in to September. They look a lot healthier in October and November. Once the white oaks start falling they'll pack on the pounds.

Back
Top Bottom