• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

9/17/18

There is a boat load of alfalfa fields in Saskatchewan and Alberta that are destroyed by Whitetails. That is the best protein that they graze on. That’s where those deer put the weight on...
Colorado also backed up to the mountains, I have seen bales stacked 20 ft tall 100 ft long..No Mules at 17:00 hrs and by 19:00 hrs, 200 in the field and that is after it was already cut..

:doh: Common knowledge? How many corn fields do they have in Alberta? Bear, you are going to great lengths to justify feeding that garbage to wild deer.
Deer body size is due to genetics (which you aren't going to change by feeding them corn, or anything else) and diet, dependent upon natural browse (which may include ag crops to an extent) and soil mineral content. Neither of which dumped corn replaces.

Yeah, it's legal. A lot of things are.
Corn is a very good source of nutrition for deer and is not garbage. I'm not talking about baiting. I'm talking about supplemental feeding specifically to improve the overall health of a herd year round. The danger of corn is if it is abruptly stopped after a deer's metabolism has adapted to it. Especially if it is all they have had to eat. This can be a problem in mid winter in northern states because corn will jack their metabolism and take them out of a natural slowdown to preserve body fat to get them through the winter. If it is consistently available year round as a supplement to natural food sources, it's all good. I've seen it's benefits personally.

As you know, I set up a feeding station a few months ago with a trail cam on it. I was using a deer feed mixed with corn to start with, but had to stop the deer feed because it would get moldy very quickly. I went to pure corn because it does not do that as easily. Late summer can actually be difficult for deer because the young, high nutrient new growth has become rare and the mast crops have not matured yet. I have gotten hundreds of pics of the same deer coming to this feeding station and it is clear that at first they were very lean. They progressively put on weight and are now fat and sleek. The mast still has not matured here yet. The only change has been the availability of the corn.

Not garbage.

Corn is a very good source of nutrition for deer and is not garbage. I'm not talking about baiting. I'm talking about supplemental feeding specifically to improve the overall health of a herd year round. The danger of corn is if it is abruptly stopped after a deer's metabolism has adapted to it. Especially if it is all they have had to eat. This can be a problem in mid winter in northern states because corn will jack their metabolism and take them out of a natural slowdown to preserve body fat to get them through the winter. If it is consistently available year round as a supplement to natural food sources, it's all good. I've seen it's benefits personally.

As you know, I set up a feeding station a few months ago with a trail cam on it. I was using a deer feed mixed with corn to start with, but had to stop the deer feed because it would get moldy very quickly. I went to pure corn because it does not do that as easily. Late summer can actually be difficult for deer because the young, high nutrient new growth has become rare and the mast crops have not matured yet. I have gotten hundreds of pics of the same deer coming to this feeding station and it is clear that at first they were very lean. They progressively put on weight and are now fat and sleek. The mast still has not matured here yet. The only change has been the availability of the corn.

Not garbage.
How many biologists have you personally discussed this issue with? Find one wildlife biologist who recommends it. One. Its garbage. But you convince yourself of whatever you'd like to justify it.
https://www.google.com/search?q=wil...ndroid-att-us&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

How many biologists have you personally discussed this issue with? Find one wildlife biologist who recommends it. One. Its garbage. But you convince yourself of whatever you'd like to justify it.
https://www.google.com/search?q=wil...ndroid-att-us&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8
Did you read the articles? They are saying the exact same thing I did about not doing it properly.

There is not a word about corn being a poor nutrient source. In fact, some of them say it is too good of a nutrient source suddenly introduced to deer in a winter pattern.

Not garbage.

Did you read the articles? They are saying the exact same thing I did about not doing it properly.

There is not a word about corn being a poor nutrient source. In fact, some of them say it is too good of a nutrient source suddenly introduced to deer in a winter pattern.

Not garbage.
I give up. Only a person hell bent on ignoring reality can look at a list of "Don't feed deer corn" articles and see "feed deer corn". You go with your feels, I'll go with the professionals (and common sense).
Total and complete GARBAGE!
I'm done. Wrong thread anyway and just like all the others, wasted cyberspace.

I give up. Only a person hell bent on ignoring reality can look at a list of "Don't feed deer corn" articles and see "feed deer corn". You go with your feels, I'll go with the professionals (and common sense).
Total and complete GARBAGE!
I'm done. Wrong thread anyway and just like all the others, wasted cyberspace.
Don't be done. Just show me a single quote from any of those articles that says corn is poor nutrition for deer. Just ONE!

I'm not going with "feels". I just see what they actually say. They don't want people to suddenly introduce corn to deer in a winter feeding pattern because their metabolism can't handle it in that circumstance. That is not the circumstance I have described. Not in any way.

Not garbage.

b05e1401c5bd57b5f26650ce0996f5bc.jpg

Back
Top Bottom