• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

96 Jeep XJ clutch issue? Help!

HVACGuy

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
136   0
Reaction score
Ok, so weird issue. After driving for about 30-45 minutes, I can't shift into or out of gear. I'm not noticing any change in the pedal, but I changed the slave cylinder and bled the line, but it didn't help the issue. Sometimes I can shut off the engine, and after a minute of two, it'll shift normal. Sometimes I can pump the clutch to get it to work, once it went into gear without depressing the clutch, sometimes you can't do anything but let it sit for a while. I thought about changing the master next, or maybe replace the clutch, but I'm just not sure it will have any affect. When shifting right, no issues to speak of. Anyone run across this issue?

really you should just go ahead and change both cylindersat the same
time. it could be leaking back into the firewall

also drain the trans fluid and check for metal

If your master and slave cylinders are fine, and no leak in the hose, you have a mechanical issue with the transmission.

The 2 most likely culprits are either a worn input shaft bushing/bearing in the crankshaft, or a worn bearing on the input shaft in the transmission.

Either one will cause the input shaft to spin at crankshaft speed even when the clutch pedal is depressed.

Had a similar experience on an '02 Wrangler. 4.0 six cylinder with 5-speed transmission (200,000 miles at that time).

Turned out to be a worn input shaft tearing up the bushing....

Replaced just the bushing and the problem returned within a few months.

Took the transmission out and had it rebuilt, inclusive of repairing the input shaft, problem hasn't returned.

I'm worried more and more that this thing just needs a complete rebuild. I've never heard of a clutch malfunctioning only when heating up...
I called a transmission shop and explained the issue, but they were thinking I would be going overboard by rebuilding the tranny. I'm thinking that might be what it needs though.

I used Southern Gear in Atlanta.

I pulled the transmission, took it up there. They rebuilt it and repaired the input shaft pretty cheaply.

Pulling a transmission from a Jeep is incredibly easy, after you've done it three or four times. The first time took about 4 hours. The third time took less than one hour.

I used Keepvid and downloaded the video below, put it on a tablet and had it out in the shop with me the first time.

I used Southern Gear in Atlanta.

I pulled the transmission, took it up there. They rebuilt it and repaired the input shaft pretty cheaply.

Pulling a transmission from a Jeep is incredibly easy, after you've done it three or four times. The first time took about 4 hours. The third time took less than one hour.

I used Keepvid and downloaded the video below, put it on a tablet and had it out in the shop with me the first time.

Would this be the same process for an XJ?

It's crazy, but after it heats up, you couldn't force it into gear with a sledgehammer.
I swear it seems like I should just rebuild the clutch and the transmission, and just get it over with.

Back
Top Bottom