• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Advice for Buying Land? Listings?

Joshua223

Default rank <4000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
54   0
Reaction score
Hey guys.

Hoping to eventually buy enough land for hunting, but right now I'm looking at getting a place OTP NE where we could potentially put a travel trailer/RV and small workshop. Newer build houses don't have yards around here. Never made any real estate purchases, so I'm not sure what to look for. Saw one listing that mentioned the land wouldn't perk, but not planning on building a house. Are there sites better than zillow/realtor.com for finding land?

It stinks that newer homes around here don't have yards. I've wanted to get into archery, but I don't have anywhere to shoot. Same for pellet guns. Can't even make straight razor scales since I don't have a workspace so I really want to get a couple acres we can use for whatever we want. I know I wouldn't be able to shoot though in most places though.
When I take my daughter to visit my parents, who live in a rural area, my daughter has the time of her life being able to run around and play without having to go to a park or playground. I hate that she is missing out on that.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

If you buy land that don't perk be sure its a great deal, cause its going to be a lot harder to sell in my limited experience.

If paying cash its a little easier, than borrowing for "RAW" land, since rates/ downpayments /terms different than mortgages.

Land is bonkers expensive right now, but just keep looking and you will find something you can live with.

Also keep in mind the distance from your primary home ( if its 2 hours away you will go to a lot less than you would hope in most cases).

I had a friend who did this about 90 min drive, and his travel trailer constantly got broken into and everything stolen at least 2-3 times.

So think of ways to have off grid power, for cameras etc. (battery/memory is an option), but unless its super clear local authority's will have a hard time tracking them down.

Good luck!

Just some info - First there’s so much to say I can barely figure where to start….
If it’s further than 1.5 hours away, you won’t go there as often as you might think.
Property is high right now, it’s come down some, but we don’t think it will ever get back to where it was.
I don’t know where you live now, so I can’t point you in even a general direction and we’ve been all over.
Whether or not you’re planning on building a house, property that won’t perk means no regular septic tank ever. It’ll never be worth the same as the property around it that can be built on. Without a septic tank how are you going to empty the black water tank…???
Depending on where you purchase you can get a well and septic tank installed for as little as 10k for both. Where I live is 10k each.
We like Movoto best for searching.
Beware that someone can put a chicken house on less than an acre in most Georgia counties. Beware of what’s in the area and what the plans are for that area. Landfills and such.
A place with a running creek, no matter how small is some recreation. As in build a little dam and make a swimming hole. Filter water, so you don’t have to leave for it, that kind of thing.
Water is always recreation, the bigger the better.
Ponds can take some work and money.…
….. that’s more to think about anyway. Good Luck!

Live in Suwanee. Planning on getting house in Suwanee or JC eventually.

Definitely don't want to drive more than 30-45min if I can help it, for reasons in addition to what some of you have mentioned.

Security is a concern.

I know prices have gone down some, but there is no telling exactly how things will go. People have been saying to wait about buying real estate for years now. If we find a place we like, I would rather get it now than keep waiting.

I'm trying to think of a good solution for waste management besides running to the nearest gas station.
VE0s8IwTzm4TOHXCQVc_bbw8UBl_kPh5FCHkeNxbru0.jpg

ARCman47 ARCman47
That's what a fed would say. :tinfoil3:

Live in Suwanee. Planning on getting house in Suwanee or JC eventually.

Definitely don't want to drive more than 30-45min if I can help it, for reasons in addition to what some of you have mentioned.

Security is a concern.

I know prices have gone down some, but there is no telling exactly how things will go. People have been saying to wait about buying real estate for years now. If we find a place we like, I would rather get it now than keep waiting.

I'm trying to think of a good solution for waste management besides running to the nearest gas station.
View attachment 5590691

ARCman47 ARCman47
That's what a fed would say. :tinfoil3:
If I was you, I'd check around country side of Banks or Jackson Co. Definitely better places in my neck of woods but maybe little further than you'd like

Back
Top Bottom