• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

and some say the feds don't check sites like these...

I don't think that the law states that an individual seller must verify proof of residency of the buyer, but if you start doing it that way it will become law and you will be filling out paperwork between individuals just to sell a pocket knife."The Government that you support"How does this work when the weapon is shipped to an individual? Of course paranoid people don't ship either. "The're afraid that a $28.00 check might not be good" No CWL? What about all those felons that you've been selling to? You know that's illegal. "And to think he only lives a few houses down the street from you." "Book him Dan-no"No BOS? What if it gets used in a crime and you are implicated (due to you being the original owner) and you claim that you were home alone on the night in question? "Book him Dan-no"Which is the worse offence? Selling across state lines, or selling to a convicted felon.I think instead of skipping over all the paranoid ads that I was interested in until it got to all the CWL, DL, BOS, ans BS. I'll send them a message and let them know that all the Dick Tracy and paranoia broke the deal.I want buy from you, and would rather not deal with paranoid people.
No offenve meant but in your post, you seem more than a little paranoid yourself. LOL just sayin...

No offenve meant but in your post, you seem more than a little paranoid yourself. LOL just sayin...
What part would make me paranoid?

I was just wondering how checking a DL for residency makes you a law abiding seller that just sold a firearm to a Ga resident (DL in hand) that is a convicted felon?

The law no more requires me to check residency than it does felonious activity.

they are winning

as soon as someone said to me they probably couldnt pass one, i would either hang up or say "ya know, you didnt have to say that, but since you volunteered information regarding your legal eligibility, i will have to pass on any offer you make me"

What part would make me paranoid?

I was just wondering how checking a DL for residency makes you a law abiding seller that just sold a firearm to a Ga resident (DL in hand) that is a convicted felon?

The law no more requires me to check residency than it does felonious activity.

This is so painfully obvious that I honestly can't believe I have to break it down for you, but here goes.

Read this again:

Q: To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA?
A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(d), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

Notice there is no ambiguity in the statement highlighted in red. It doesn't say "A person may sell a firearm to a person the seller to believes to be an unlicensed resident of his State..." It says "resident of his state". This is because all sellers have the ability to verify a buyer's residency by asking to see some sort of state-issued ID.

The portion highlighted in blue reflects the Govt's acknowledgement that ordinary citizens lack the ability to do criminal history checks, so it changes from an imperative to "reasonable cause to believe" the buyer is not prohibited from owning a firearm. All you can do is ask if they're a convicted felon and hope they tell the truth. That is the limit of your responsibility as a seller.

Last edited:
Read this for your first time, quit reading more into it then is actually there.

The seller could ask them if they were a resident of Ga? (or whichever state the deal is going down)

I'll ask again, which would be worse, selling to non residents or selling to felonious residents?(The things that make you go Hmmmmm)

All I'm saying is you are so worried about residency that you can't take their word they are a resident, but have to have government issued proof. FTG
Actually it doesn't say get proof it just says "seller believes the buyer is a resident". Then you add in all your crap about being able to check their govt. issued ID. (wow what a pawn)

You turn around and say that it's OK to take their word on not being a convicted felon. WTF
I really couldn't imagine a convicted felon telling a lie. LMFAO

I say go with the facts. The facts are that there doesn't have to be any proof. All you have to do is "believe" that they are legal. Resident/non felon

In the case of the recordings, I wouldn't sell to someone that openly admits to not being legal to purchase a firearm in GA.

"Paranoia will destroy ya" GLWS

This is what I get from more explanatory version of the truth.

You don't mind dealing with convicted felons...................so long as they can produce a GA drivers licence.
This could be your new sig line. LMFAO

This is so painfully obvious that I honestly can't believe I have to break it down for you, but here goes.

Read this again:

Notice there is no ambiguity in the statement highlighted in red. It doesn't say "A person may sell a firearm to a person the seller to believes to be an unlicensed resident of his State..." It says "resident of his state". This is because all sellers have the ability to verify a buyer's residency by asking to see some sort of state-issued ID.

The portion highlighted in blue reflects the Govt's acknowledgement that ordinary citizens lack the ability to do criminal history checks, so it changes from an imperative to "reasonable cause to believe" the buyer is not prohibited from owning a firearm. All you can do is ask if they're a convicted felon and hope they tell the truth. That is the limit of your responsibility as a seller.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html#gca-unlicensed-transfer

The ATF is making their interpretation of the Gun Control Act of 1968 pretty clear, whether you agree with it or not. It comes down to the reasonableness (Google "reasonableness standard") of the seller's actions in their attempt to comply with the laws governing their transaction. While it is unreasonable to expect a seller to do a background check on a buyer, it's completely reasonable to ask to see their ID since this very same ID is shown every time you try to buy any other controlled substance, write a check at the grocery store, rent a car, book a flight, apply for a job, pay for a purchase with an unsigned credit card, etc. There is nothing secret contained on your DL, and you'll show it to hundreds of strangers over the course of your life. What exactly are you afraid of?

EDIT: NVM, this tells me all I need to know about you.

Congrats on being the first person to make it on my "ignore list".

Last edited:
So this "crack ATF Sting" could only come up with a half a dozen dishonest sellers in all their investigation work... Doesn't appear to be an issue really, with the number of guns sold everyday. how about the number of times they got hung up on or were told it was a deal breaker. I mean seriously what a waste of tax payers money, since it's like only 6 dudes and there are millions of guns sold daily.

Paranoid people such as yourself and of course, the government's abuse of the Constitution of the United States.
That's about it.
Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I fear no evil, because I was here today and gone tomorrow.
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html#gca-unlicensed-transfer

The ATF is making their interpretation of the Gun Control Act of 1968 pretty clear, whether you agree with it or not. It comes down to the reasonableness (Google "reasonableness standard") of the seller's actions in their attempt to comply with the laws governing their transaction. While it is unreasonable to expect a seller to do a background check on a buyer, it's completely reasonable to ask to see their ID since this very same ID is shown every time you try to buy any other controlled substance, write a check at the grocery store, rent a car, book a flight, apply for a job, pay for a purchase with an unsigned credit card, etc. There is nothing secret contained on your DL, and you'll show it to hundreds of strangers over the course of your life. What exactly are you afraid of?

EDIT: NVM, this tells me all I need to know about you.

Congrats on being the first person to make it on my "ignore list".

So this "crack ATF Sting" could only come up with a half a dozen dishonest sellers in all their investigation work... Doesn't appear to be an issue really, with the number of guns sold everyday. how about the number of times they got hung up on or were told it was a deal breaker. I mean seriously what a waste of tax payers money, since it's like only 6 dudes and there are millions of guns sold daily.

It's all about perception, and how the media portrays it.
Do you think anyone in Atlanta would have cared about someone being shot in Florida, until the mass media blew it up on radio/tv/internet?

The news is not about telling the truth, or getting people information anymore. It is about sensationalism, ratings and agenda.

Back
Top Bottom