• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any of you guys into crossfit?

southernguy72

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
5   0
Reaction score
So, I have gotten really slack with my workouts. I used to go 5-6 times a week to lift and throw in some cardio here and there. now I haven't been in 6 months or more---got bored/lazy. Anyhow, I gotta get back to it cause I feel like $hit and my energy is at an all time low. I met some new neighbors recently that are all into the crossfit thing. It sounds interesting/challenging to me so I think I might try it out. Do any of you guys do it? What are your thoughts/results? What gear (esp shoes) do you recommend? Thanks!

I personally don't like to throw up during every workout. Crossfit is good exercise if you are already some-what "fit". I definitely don't recommend it for beginners or anyone who has been out of the game for a while. Might want to start off with basic cardio and weight training first. Form is extremely important in all aspects of exercise and Crossfit is no different. I have had quite a few people join my club after rehabbing injuries from doing Crossfit. If you decide to go down that road please make sure you go to a respectable place that will take the time to show you the proper form for each exercise.

If you decide to join a health club, PM me. I have an ODT discount for anyone that joins my gym.

Good luck!

I'm not, but I have friends that are. If you are regimented in your workouts and have some specific goals I honestly don't see the need for a trainer. That said, it does help to participate in some group workouts occasionally. I very much enjoy my 2x a week group runs. It's a good opportunity for accountability, and to stack analyze your fitness against better athletes.

There are lots of successful methods for healthy living though. Find what you like--you have to enjoy it, or it won't become a lifelong endeavor.

I've been doing it for over a year. It's great and my results have been very good. I wouldn't get any special gear until you decide you like it. Our box has a Groupon going on. PM me if you'd like to discuss more.

Take the good, leave the "guru'ness" from Crossfit. Been doing various things for 3-4 decades and found that personal discipline and holding to a regime on my own works best. In my case running, humping (walking fast with a backpack or sacs a dos) with weight, banging on a heavy bag and calisthenics were more than enough. Did dozens of ten K's and two marathons over the years. Now the bones are wearing so I have to adjust but it's a lifelong job....

I don't do crossfit but I was a national level competitive bodybuilder for any years. I'm still very involved with the fitness industry. You should read this article and do some research on crossfit. The theory behind it is solid but the application is very different.

https://medium.com/health-fitness-1/97bcce70356d

I agree with WC1911guy that you should do some research. However, take everything with a grain of salt. For those that really like it it does become an almost cultish thing. There are certainly dangers, but you have to find a place with good trainers. I've never seen anyone come close to getting rhabdo at our box. If nothing else, get a Groupon and try out a place for a month. That's what I did and I got hooked. You might love it or you might hate it. For me the comradery and the competitive nature were something I just didn't get from the Globo gym. I was afraid I'd lose strength, but to the contrary, I'm stronger than I've been in years.

So, I have gotten really slack with my workouts. I used to go 5-6 times a week to lift and throw in some cardio here and there. now I haven't been in 6 months or more---got bored/lazy. Anyhow, I gotta get back to it cause I feel like $hit and my energy is at an all time low. I met some new neighbors recently that are all into the crossfit thing. It sounds interesting/challenging to me so I think I might try it out. Do any of you guys do it? What are your thoughts/results? What gear (esp shoes) do you recommend? Thanks!

I have a friend that is extremely fit and asked my not so fit self to join HIS cross fit gym ( because apparently the gym I already pay to go to doesn't work when you don't go....who knew, right?). I was excited to tour the cross-fit gym he attends and it is hard to not get caught up in all the hype and excitement of these intense work outs. UNTIL, I found out my meat head brother like friend ( no disrespect, this guy is like my brother) was paying $150!!! a month to attend this gym with rubber floors, loud music, and chalk boxes. NO thanks, I'll stick to my $25 dollar gym, but to each their own my friends.

I have a friend that is extremely fit and asked my not so fit self to join HIS cross fit gym ( because apparently the gym I already pay to go to doesn't work when you don't go....who knew, right?). I was excited to tour the cross-fit gym he attends and it is hard to not get caught up in all the hype and excitement of these intense work outs. UNTIL, I found out my meat head brother like friend ( no disrespect, this guy is like my brother) was paying $150!!! a month to attend this gym with rubber floors, loud music, and chalk boxes. NO thanks, I'll stick to my $25 dollar gym, but to each their own my friends.

:behindsofa:

So instead of paying $150 and getting something out of it you'd rather pay $25 and not attend? I don't understand the logic. No offense meant of course but when you spend that much money you do have incentive to go.

Last edited:
:behindsofa:

So instead of paying $150 and getting something out of it you'd rather pay $25 and not attend? I don't understand the logic. No offense meant of course but when you spend that much money you do have incentive to go.

There's no promises a crossfit gym will be open when he needs it to be. That's why my gym is 24hrs M-F night. We have a pretty good crowd in the mornings around 5am I'm told. $ doesn't always push people to go to the gym. I work at one and I haven't paid dues in over 8 years and I work out religiously. Now when I was a PT I would have clients paying $360 per month and hardly show. There has to be a WILL and a WAY.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom