• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any of you guys into crossfit?

OP,I have been slack for about 5 or 6 months and I know how you feel,like crap! I was doing either strength training or running three miles, 5 or 6 days a week. Today was the first day I'm back on the wagon. Gyms and the "latest" fitness craze such as cross training helps some people who need motivation. It's all about marketing, peoples desire to get in shape and charging you $. For a grand you can get everything you would ever need to strength train off craigs list and it's free to run outside if you choose to do outside cardio. I see the cross-fit programs and they use little or no equipment, such as dragging a tire around a parking lot or doing laps around a parking lot with weight strapped on you. Save your $ and get your own stuff,you don't need much as the cross-fit programs demonstrate.

There's no promises a crossfit gym will be open when he needs it to be. That's why my gym is 24hrs M-F night. We have a pretty good crowd in the mornings around 5am I'm told. $ doesn't always push people to go to the gym. I work at one and I haven't paid dues in over 8 years and I work out religiously. Now when I was a PT I would have clients paying $360 per month and hardly show. There has to be a WILL and a WAY.

Good points on hours of operation and willingness to work. I certainly don't believe that Crossfit is the one and only way to get fit. I do believe that there is more accountability than at a globo gym however. Sure it's expensive, but most boxes also have fewer than 100 members while a globo gym probably has hundreds. The globo gym routine had gotten stale to me after over 20 years and Crossfit has given me a spark and interest in fitness I haven't had in a while. Everyone is different of course and your experience may vary.

Good points on hours of operation and willingness to work. I certainly don't believe that Crossfit is the one and only way to get fit. I do believe that there is more accountability than at a globo gym however. Sure it's expensive, but most boxes also have fewer than 100 members while a globo gym probably has hundreds. The globo gym routine had gotten stale to me after over 20 years and Crossfit has given me a spark and interest in fitness I haven't had in a while. Everyone is different of course and your experience may vary.

I can see your point because new routines and styles of training will definitely be more motivational. I'd probably have to have a membership to both however, I found myself more akin to the bodybuilding style and been doing it for almost 10 years.

Some people need something different to motivate them,the important thing is you get back on the wagon.

Some people need something different to motivate them,the important thing is you get back on the wagon.

Absolutely. That's why gyms offer so many different kinds of work out amenities. You have 7-8 different types of cardio equipment, 3-4 different ways to weight train, group fitness classes, personal trainers, movie theaters with cardio equipment, childcare so you don't have to worry about having your kids with you. It's really amazing how far they have come.

I design my own workouts from ideas on the main site (www.crossfit.com) and at crossfit football site (http://www.crossfitfootball.com/). The variety helps to make working out interesting. Check out Youtube for ideas and how to do some of the movements.

I don't like people so I'm not a good fit with Crossfit. The bonding experience with others seems to be an important part of the Cross-fit experience and motivation.

I don't want another person telling me to do something. I have a wife already.

I don't want another person telling me to do something. I have a wife already.

Awesome.

Me personally, I like to take the bodyweight wod's and incorporate them into the ends of my normal weight lifting routines, or use them as a filler week for some time off especially when I have to get ready for a PT test. Like some have said, just take away what you need from the website, but imo 150/month and up for a membership is crazy. Also I think a lot of people see the elite Crossfitters at the Games and think that they will get that way with just the normal routines. But them dudes do some serious cross-training as well.

Thanks for the input guys! That's why I love the ODT... Anyway, I am quite familiar with the gym scene. I have done it for years. I just get bored with the same routines and that results in me just losing interest. My goals with crossfit are: 1) Get back into a solid workout routine 5-6 days per week, 2) learn some new ways to break up lifting/cardio routines, 3) snap back into decent shape (I think I can see decent results in 4-5 months), and 4) use crossfit as a "fill in" to spice things up when I get to a plateau. I do not plan to stay in crossfit full time forever. I know I have to have balance and I guess that is what this is all about, finding that right balance for me.

I have always been the guy that says "you don't need a trainer" and I still am. I'm not really looking for training as much as I am looking for a group workout that challenges my ability and makes me stronger/faster/healthier. I am very competitive so the group fitness appeals to me----even if it's just vanity and ego driving me to be better than the next guy in my group. I find that competition helps me relieve stress from work/home life which translates to better performance in both of those areas as well.

I will keep you guys posted... I have some "before" pics (NSFW) LOL and I plan to take a series of images as I make my way through the next few months. Please...be kind on those posts!

Thanks for the input guys! That's why I love the ODT... Anyway, I am quite familiar with the gym scene. I have done it for years. I just get bored with the same routines and that results in me just losing interest. My goals with crossfit are: 1) Get back into a solid workout routine 5-6 days per week, 2) learn some new ways to break up lifting/cardio routines, 3) snap back into decent shape (I think I can see decent results in 4-5 months), and 4) use crossfit as a "fill in" to spice things up when I get to a plateau. I do not plan to stay in crossfit full time forever. I know I have to have balance and I guess that is what this is all about, finding that right balance for me.

I have always been the guy that says "you don't need a trainer" and I still am. I'm not really looking for training as much as I am looking for a group workout that challenges my ability and makes me stronger/faster/healthier. I am very competitive so the group fitness appeals to me----even if it's just vanity and ego driving me to be better than the next guy in my group. I find that competition helps me relieve stress from work/home life which translates to better performance in both of those areas as well.

I will keep you guys posted... I have some "before" pics (NSFW) LOL and I plan to take a series of images as I make my way through the next few months. Please...be kind on those posts!

Good luck! From what you're saying Crossfit would be a good fit. I still have a globo gym membership because I was offered a ridiculous deal ($400 for 3 years for both my wife and I) shortly before I started Crossfit. I figured that Crossfit would be a supplement and that I'd lose strength. To the contrary, in Crossfit we do lifts that were never part of my normal gym routine (front squats, overhead squats, power cleans, squat cleans, power snatches, squat snatches, deadlifts) so I'm actually stronger than I was doing my normal routine. Crossfit is highly varied. I've literally repeated a workout once or twice in over a year. Our trainers makes up the WODs, but they're smart enough to focus their attention on those members that need it the most. I'll be curious to see how you like it. I think you'll be surprised at how quickly you get results.

Back
Top Bottom