• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

any older and or seasoned CWP folks, or LEOs please help me out!

Years ago I pulled a guy over... As I exit my patrol car, he sits a Glock 30 out the window on top of the car.

I admit my language in those days was a bit more unrefined and I walked up and asked him why the **** he would do that. He said "so I didn't have to hand it to you".

Seriously?! Georgia is not a mandatory disclosure state. You are only required to present your DRIVERS license on a traffic stop, proof of insurance is even optional now with the information on your tag info.
This is good info, thanks Shrek

Even then, it's called the 4th Amendment. It's also outside the scope of his stop. Did he stop you because you firearm was improperly buckled in? Not being a jerk about it, but I am when I get pulled over. There are rules, and God bless you for not flexing the rules on the side of the road, but he over stepped.

I would have, and recently have responded firmly when i had had a young LEO ask if I had a gun in the vehicle. Maybe the NRA, Palmetto State Armory, Gerogia carry.org, Fraziers Tactical and G44L might have been his FBI clue to ask. I looked him in the eyes and asked if his question had anything to do with my headlight being out, which reminds me it still is. Oops. It was a bit of a pissing contest, but after quoting a few case laws, and 42USC 1983, we stroked my warning and happily bid me a nice evening.

I figured, asked me if I had been drinking, of course I hadn't. Just got done seeing the new Red Dawn at the movie theater..It was great! Ill always appreciate the one from 84 though...Thanks for your help shrek

I probably picked the two most off-topic posts in this thread to reply to, haha.
Shrek - I loved your post. Knowing the law really does put you in a position of power as a citizen.
Gh - I recently saw the new Red Dawn movie as well. It was awesome. A friend of mine asked how it was and I responded, "If you're any sort of patriot, you'll like it."

But yeah to keep on topic, a good rule of thumb is that the less you disclose, the more likely you are to stay out of trouble.
Only tell the officer what you must​.

My advise to you in this scenario, if the gun was on your person or on an area where you have to reach, I would declare. That way there are no miss perceptions. If the gun was anywhere else I would not. Your choice, as stated you do not have compunction to declare in GA.
There have been several false statements on several aspects of the law in this thread, but keep in mind there are at least two guns in this example. No matter what, no one wants to get hurt over a misunderstanding.

I probably picked the two most off-topic posts in this thread to reply to, haha.
Shrek - I loved your post. Knowing the law really does put you in a position of power as a citizen.
Gh - I recently saw the new Red Dawn movie as well. It was awesome. A friend of mine asked how it was and I responded, "If you're any sort of patriot, you'll like it."

But yeah to keep on topic, a good rule of thumb is that the less you disclose, the more likely you are to stay out of trouble.
Only tell the officer what you must​.
It was great! thanks for your input as well...:thumb:

My advise to you in this scenario, if the gun was on your person or on an area where you have to reach, I would declare. That way there are no miss perceptions. If the gun was anywhere else I would not. Your choice, as stated you do not have compunction to declare in GA.
There have been several false statements on several aspects of the law in this thread, but keep in mind there are at least two guns in this example. No matter what, no one wants to get hurt over a misunderstanding.
That was my biggest concern, not wanting anything to get out of hand especially considering what has been going on in this world the past few months, my shirt was tucked in, and I had an IWB holster...regardless all of this was helpful, I will learn from it and take it all into consideration should this happen again

You see this is where I was thinking in the position of the LEO, I know I didnt have to furnish my permit, but for all I know when he got to his computer it could have come up that I was registered CWP

The best thing you can do in any situation with cops is keep your mouth shut and disclose as little information as possible while being respectful

I read the whole post. Let me get this straight. If stopped, you don't have declare a weapon per GA law, but it's a fifty / fifty venture that some say do declare and some say don't say a word...

Also, and this is my main question, if stopped for a traffic violiation such as speeding or head / tail light being out (or a license check which seems to be happening a whole lot more.....), if the officer asks for your weapon, you do or do not have to give it to him/her...??

I read the whole post. Let me get this straight. If stopped, you don't have declare a weapon per GA law, but it's a fifty / fifty venture that some say do declare and some say don't say a word...

Also, and this is my main question, if stopped for a traffic violiation such as speeding or head / tail light being out (or a license check which seems to be happening a whole lot more.....), if the officer asks for your weapon, you do or do not have to give it to him/her...??
Correct on all points; you make the call on wether or not you want to notify; if it is not going to be seen during the course of the interaction or any chance the officer could site furtive movement, etc, then I say keep quiet.

They can (and sometimes will) ask to secure the weapon for officer safety, again, wether you allow seizure of your property is a call you need to make..... I suggest doing some reading over at Georgia Packing to learn the ins and outs if this specific occasion

Back
Top Bottom