• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anybody still lubin' with the frog?

I use all the time in the warm months EDC. then in the winter time i go down to rem oil only or, FL and then do a good wipe down and a top coat of REM oil.

if its my hunting rifles the stay FL'd in the safe all winter so no need to worry about it with them.

Bc it did give problems by itself in the cold 2 years ago no problems yet been flawless

I use FL. Started using it about 9 months or so ago. Didn't even realize it was a fad. Someone at the range recommended it so I gave it a shot. I've over lubed pretty bad when I first started using it. Didn't realize it was so easy to put too much on. Mtdawg says it shouldn't be possible to over lube. When I say 'over lube' I just mean I had it pouring out of the gun at the range and had to keep wiping it down. It didn't cause any problems though. Was just annoying to have to keep wiping it down. No gumming or failures with it. I've even mixed it with other lubes that I'm apparently not suppose to mix it with. Still no problems. I've put a couple thousand rounds down a few different guns using FL mixed with other lubes and haven't had any problems with it. Oh and I never did this whole "treating" thing with it when I first used it. I guess I didn't read the instructions. I just started using like any other lube.

Yea, you'll pay like $20 for one of those little tubes. But I've done a ton of cleanings with it and I don't think I've even used half the tube. That's because you only have to use a tiny bit. Why use it? Non-toxic, doesn't smell like crap, and I haven't had any problems with it. Why not? That's how I see it.
Just to clarify what I mean by "shouldn't be possible" : in my opinion, an ideal lubricant should exhibit several properties. A few of those include, provide lubrication (obvious), it shouldn't burn off too quickly, it should more or less stay where you put it and not run off easily (Not too viscous) and it should improve reliability. My biggest issue with FL is that if applied "incorrectly" it will cause malfunctions. Personally, I don't need a lubrication that introduces another variable that can affect reliability. I just want to apply and the gun works. If it burns off, I want to douse it and keep shooting. As often as I like, until I decide to clean the gun. Reapply and keep shooting.

According to those here, that's not how you use Froglube. Once the gun is dirty enough to need cleaning, you are required to clean the gun before reapplying ANY Froglube. With other lubricants, I don't have to do that, I can just add more lubricant, run the gun wet and keep shooting. Froglube prevents running the gun "wet" because you've apparently "over lubricated". My opinion is that over lubrication is a ridiculous concept. The gun shouldn't care if you used too much. In fact, it should run and run and ask for more!

I'd be really curious to know what would happen to one of your guns that you've mixed FL and other lubricants if you shelved it for a month or two. Over time, the issues I observed developed. And I followed the directions to a "T", including use of a heat gun and completely degreasing all parts, including the inside of the receiver. I'm not doubting your experience at all. I used FL for several months and recommend it to others until my issues arose. I'm just wondering how it will perform over time since you've apparently broken every cardinal rule according to the FL defenders. ;)
I had FL on a BCG that turned into a tacky, hard to remove film. Very well could have been my fault, but I just chose to move away from it. It never caused any issues in my pistols, but I just like to keep to one lube.

Saying "lube" so much in one thread sounds gay.
Same experience here.

Last edited:
Someone mentioned earlier that they like FL because it is nontoxic. For the record, this is part of the reason that I'm currently testing Fireclean. So far, so good after almost a year. It cleans up just as easily as FL, but without the issues I had and without the risk of "over lubrication", whatever that means. However, if it presents any issues whatsoever, I'll toss it in the trash too. I like the idea of using a non toxic lubrication, but if all else fails, weaponshield, slip 2000 ewl, etc have never let me down.

Like some others, I'm wary about a lube that can foul a gun by inexact application. Nor would I want a lube that won't let me squirt more on/in if there's no time to clean. I hadn't really thought of that before this thread, but now I'll never bother trying FL.

Weaponshield for me; it's among the best by any standard. Smells like cinnamon, for whatever that's worth. But really-- anything will work; some just don't burn off as quickly, and some inhibit rust better. You could do a lot worse than Mobil 1 or ATF... lord knows they're cheap compared to "gun oil".

Just to clarify what I mean by "shouldn't be possible" : in my opinion, an ideal lubricant should exhibit several properties. A few of those include, provide lubrication (obvious), it shouldn't burn off too quickly, it should more or less stay where you put it and not run off easily (Not too viscous) and it should improve reliability. My biggest issue with FL is that if applied "incorrectly" it will cause malfunctions. Personally, I don't need a lubrication that introduces another variable that can affect reliability. I just want to apply and the gun works. If it burns off, I want to douse it and keep shooting. As often as I like, until I decide to clean the gun. Reapply and keep shooting.

According to those here, that's not how you use Froglube. Once the gun is dirty enough to need cleaning, you are required to clean the gun before reapplying ANY Froglube. With other lubricants, I don't have to do that, I can just add more lubricant, run the gun wet and keep shooting. Froglube prevents running the gun "wet" because you've apparently "over lubricated". My opinion is that over lubrication is a ridiculous concept. The gun shouldn't care if you used too much. In fact, it should run and run and ask for more!

I'd be really curious to know what would happen to one of your guns that you've mixed FL and other lubricants if you shelved it for a month or two. Over time, the issues I observed developed. And I followed the directions to a "T", including use of a heat gun and completely degreasing all parts, including the inside of the receiver. I'm not doubting your experience at all. I used FL for several months and recommend it to others until my issues arose. I'm just wondering how it will perform over time since you've apparently broken every cardinal rule according to the FL defenders. ;)

Same experience here.

Someone mentioned earlier that they like FL because it is nontoxic. For the record, this is part of the reason that I'm currently testing Fireclean. So far, so good after almost a year. It cleans up just as easily as FL, but without the issues I had and without the risk of "over lubrication", whatever that means. However, if it presents any issues whatsoever, I'll toss it in the trash too. I like the idea of using a non toxic lubrication, but if all else fails, weaponshield, slip 2000 ewl, etc have never let me down.

Mtdawg, I hear what you are saying. And I'll definitely keep you posted. It's interesting that you guys have mentioned full cleaning before re-applying. I haven't done a full clean in about the past 4 range trips lol. I guess I have broken every cardinal rule. I've gotten so lazy with cleaning guns. The past few times I've headed to the range I just put the slide off (this is on a glock), put a tiny bit in the slide rails and then a dab in the chamber and on the feeding ramp, throw the slide back on, rack it a couple times, and shoot away. I put about 200 rounds-ish through it each time I go and, like I said, haven't cleaned it in about 4 range trips or so.

I never degreased it, I've put WAY too much on in the past, never used a heat gun, I mixed it with other lubes that I'm not supposed to, and I don't clean it before reapplying it. The only thing I haven't done is run it in cold weather. If it's sub zero out and I'm out shooting a gun, that means I'm having a really bad day haha. But I've done all of this without a single hiccup.

This is all the complete truth too. I have no desire to defend FL. I won't feel like less of a man if the masses aren't using the lube or the gun that I use. I'm not a fan boy like that. That's just been my experience. This is actually the first time I've heard all these rules about using FL. I'm curious about this Fireclean stuff though. If it works well, is non toxic, and cost less, I may even switch over to that. But I'll stick with FL until the tube I have is gone or it causes any problems. I'll let you know what my experience is over time.

Back
Top Bottom