• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anybody still lubin' with the frog?

I'm about as old school as you can get and always used Hoppes but tried FL once and hooked. After applying properly, clean up after shooting is easier/faster. Never had any problems/issues and no more greasy rags or oil stained clothing. To each his own is what I say.

Mtdawg, I hear what you are saying. And I'll definitely keep you posted. It's interesting that you guys have mentioned full cleaning before re-applying. I haven't done a full clean in about the past 4 range trips lol. I guess I have broken every cardinal rule. I've gotten so lazy with cleaning guns. The past few times I've headed to the range I just put the slide off (this is on a glock), put a tiny bit in the slide rails and then a dab in the chamber and on the feeding ramp, throw the slide back on, rack it a couple times, and shoot away. I put about 200 rounds-ish through it each time I go and, like I said, haven't cleaned it in about 4 range trips or so.

I never degreased it, I've put WAY too much on in the past, never used a heat gun, I mixed it with other lubes that I'm not supposed to, and I don't clean it before reapplying it. The only thing I haven't done is run it in cold weather. If it's sub zero out and I'm out shooting a gun, that means I'm having a really bad day haha. But I've done all of this without a single hiccup.

This is all the complete truth too. I have no desire to defend FL. I won't feel like less of a man if the masses aren't using the lube or the gun that I use. I'm not a fan boy like that. That's just been my experience. This is actually the first time I've heard all these rules about using FL. I'm curious about this Fireclean stuff though. If it works well, is non toxic, and cost less, I may even switch over to that. But I'll stick with FL until the tube I have is gone or it causes any problems. I'll let you know what my experience is over time.
Hey buddy, I missed this earlier. I'm frankly not surprised that you haven't had issues with the Glock. I think you could lube it with Karo syrup and it would still run. I also ran it on my M&Ps without issue. However, on three AR's, it was an utter failure. And I don't have any issue with folks that run it and like it. What I have an issue with are people who are so blindly invested, that they blame the end user for a faulty product. The immediate response is always the same. "you must have applied it wrong" or "you over applied it" or my personal favorite, "you didn't follow the directions". To those responses, I call BS. Never have I seen any other lubricant cause a failure, because it shouldn't be possible. Use it up and if it works for you, keep on keeping on. But I think it's disingenuous for those of us who have had a negative experience to just sit quietly in the back of the room just because someone might not like what we have to say. (Not directed at you, GlockIssue, or anyone else in particular)

At this point, I've said way more than my $0.02 about it, so now I'll shut up and move on to another thread for a while.

Last edited:
I use the Froglube CLP Paste and never had a problem. Works well as a cleaning agent too. The directions say to wipe off the excess so if your not doing that you're doing it wrong.

I love that a bullet point from their website on why its so good is "Pleasant Mint Smell"

All I ever smell is burnt powder.

Last edited:
Hey buddy, I missed this earlier. I'm frankly not surprised that you haven't had issues with the Glock. I think you could lube it with Karo syrup and it would still run. I also ran it on my M&Ps without issue. However, on three AR's, it was an utter failure. And I don't have any issue with folks that run it and like it. What I have an issue with are people who are so blindly invested, that they blame the end user for a faulty product. The immediate response is always the same. "you must have applied it wrong" or "you over applied it" or my personal favorite, "you didn't follow the directions". To those responses, I call BS. Never have I seen any other lubricant cause a failure, because it shouldn't be possible. Use it up and if it works for you, keep on keeping on. But I think it's disingenuous for those of us who have had a negative experience to just sit quietly in the back of the room just because someone might not like what we have to say. (Not directed at you, GlockIssue, or anyone else in particular)

At this point, I've said way more than my $0.02 about it, so now I'll shut up and move on to another thread for a while.

:thumb:

I'm about as old school as you can get and always used Hoppes but tried FL once and hooked. After applying properly, clean up after shooting is easier/faster. Never had any problems/issues and no more greasy rags or oil stained clothing. To each his own is what I say.

Agree. Always used milspec CLP or rem oil. Switched to FL paste, followed the directions on treating the gun. The only drawback I find is that if you have pets, the hair will stick to the FL.

I swear someone brought me a Pistol the other day that looked as though it was "overlubed" with mayonnaise and long hair.... To each his own? or don't ask don't tell??

Back
Top Bottom