• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anybody still lubin' with the frog?

Someone mentioned earlier that they like FL because it is nontoxic. For the record, this is part of the reason that I'm currently testing Fireclean. So far, so good after almost a year. It cleans up just as easily as FL, but without the issues I had and without the risk of "over lubrication", whatever that means. However, if it presents any issues whatsoever, I'll toss it in the trash too. I like the idea of using a non toxic lubrication, but if all else fails, weaponshield, slip 2000 ewl, etc have never let me down.

Every time someone mentions fl on this forum you jump on it like it is your mission in life to convince somebody that fl is BAD. I often pour frog lube on my semi autos while firing them. It aides in the treatment process. IT WILL NOT CAUSE FAILURES TO OVER APPLY WHILE SHOOTING. I do it all the time.
If you can tell us all how to duplicate your claims I'd be glad to test them out.
Fl will solidify but I have yet to see that cause a failure. Even in firearms that I have frozen in the freezer. The " tar like " substance you saw was likely some form of remaining lubricant. I have seen this in tools (pliers)that I have cleaned. They will Ooze grease hours after cleaning. Then become slick as can be. You could have just pour more fl on it and ran it. Then wiped it clean.

The easiest way to heat them ( other ) than shooting them is to just lay them out under a desk lamp. Let them sit. Then wipe them down and assemble. Nothing to it. Barrels are a little harder. That's why I apply while shooting.

I've used just about everything out there to clean guns with. Some are better than others but I have no real complaint with any of them other than odor and some Hopps ruining the wooden stock on a mint condition '57 A5 that I bought from another member here. I don't blame the Hopps. I don't hate Hopps. I don't tell people that like it that they shouldn't use it.

Honestly. If you can tell me how to recreate the issues you have had, I'd appreciate it. I'll test it and have no problem documenting the results and failures.

Every time someone mentions fl on this forum you jump on it like it is your mission in life to convince somebody that fl is BAD. I often pour frog lube on my semi autos while firing them. It aides in the treatment process. IT WILL NOT CAUSE FAILURES TO OVER APPLY WHILE SHOOTING. I do it all the time.
If you can tell us all how to duplicate your claims I'd be glad to test them out.
Fl will solidify but I have yet to see that cause a failure. Even in firearms that I have frozen in the freezer. The " tar like " substance you saw was likely some form of remaining lubricant. I have seen this in tools (pliers)that I have cleaned. They will Ooze grease hours after cleaning. Then become slick as can be. You could have just pour more fl on it and ran it. Then wiped it clean.

The easiest way to heat them ( other ) than shooting them is to just lay them out under a desk lamp. Let them sit. Then wipe them down and assemble. Nothing to it. Barrels are a little harder. That's why I apply while shooting.

I've used just about everything out there to clean guns with. Some are better than others but I have no real complaint with any of them other than odor and some Hopps ruining the wooden stock on a mint condition '57 A5 that I bought from another member here. I don't blame the Hopps. I don't hate Hopps. I don't tell people that like it that they shouldn't use it.

Honestly. If you can tell me how to recreate the issues you have had, I'd appreciate it. I'll test it and have no problem documenting the results and failures.
Yes, I am very vocal about my experience with Froglube. Primarily because I had a clearly bad experience and many others have had similar experiences. If I recall, you are a Froglube dealer and have a vested interest in promoting the product. I have nothing to gain from sharing my experience. The reason I do, is that unless someone speaks up, people will buy into the hype. And that's all Froglube is, just hype. Froglube is not the wonderlube that some would have us believe it is.

As far as replicating the issue, I don't know what to tell you. I applied it strictly according to the instructions and it **** the bed. Not once, but in three separate guns. Pretty simple really.

**** getting real in here tonight.

There was a somewhat scientific test that a guy conducted (will try to find the link) with numerous lubes and gun cleaners to test for viscosity and rust prevention. If I recall correctly, the only two besides wd40 that maintained almost perfect rust protection were frog lube and hornady one shot. Since one shot is cheaper and doesn't seem to have the cold weather issues, I've begun trying it out. So far, I'm impressed. It's a dry lube so it seems not to gather up all the crude when used in direct impingement ARs.

I don't sell the stuff or have any financial interest one way or another. One shot just seems to live up to its name and works everywhere on the firearm including the bore (or so the instructions say). If I develop any bad results from it, I will be back to trash its reputation here in this thread. So far so good, though....

Edit:

Found the link...it is here:

http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

Last edited:
Yes, I am very vocal about my experience with Froglube. Primarily because I had a clearly bad experience and many others have had similar experiences. If I recall, you are a Froglube dealer and have a vested interest in promoting the product. I have nothing to gain from sharing my experience. The reason I do, is that unless someone speaks up, people will buy into the hype. And that's all Froglube is, just hype. Froglube is not the wonderlube that some would have us believe it is.

As far as replicating the issue, I don't know what to tell you. I applied it strictly according to the instructions and it **** the bed. Not once, but in three separate guns. Pretty simple really.

This really actually surprises me. I've honestly had no issues and never did it right lol.

**** getting real in here tonight.

There was a somewhat scientific test that a guy conducted (will try to find the link) with numerous lubes and gun cleaners to test for viscosity and rust prevention. If I recall correctly, the only two besides wd40 that maintained almost perfect rust protection were frog lube and hornady one shot. Since one shot is cheaper and doesn't seem to have the cold weather issues, I've begun trying it out. So far, I'm impressed. It's a dry lube so it seems not to gather up all the crude when used in direct impingement ARs.

I don't sell the stuff or have any financial interest one way or another. One shot just seems to live up to its name and works everywhere on the firearm including the bore (or so the instructions say). If I develop any bad results from it, I will be back to trash its reputation here in this thread. So far so good, though....
I've seen that test and I recall that FL did very well with rust prevention. Makes sense really, since the paste in particular literally sticks in place and forms a protective layer. But as we all know, we need a good firearms lubricant to do more than just prevent rust.

After my experience, I literally swore off the recent crop of non-toxic super lubes and went back to weaponshield. Later, a friend that I trust recommended Fireclean and sent me a half used bottle to try out. I agreed to give it a shot. Like I mentioned earlier, so far, so good. But after my FL experiment, I'm pretty pessimistic. Even though Fireclean has performed flawlessly for almost a year, I still watch it closely. No issues thus far. And it offers similar advantages as FL, allowing an easy wipe down whenever I actually get around to cleaning my guns. Plus, it's non-toxic. It just doesn't require the tedious application "process" and so far, hasn't turned into goo. It stinks like hell in my suppressor though. I'll keep using it primarily because it really lasts and has exhibited strong heat resistance, not burning off as fast as other lubes typically have in the past. But I can guarantee, if something changes, I'll be the first to speak up about it. Recently, LAV posted a message on FB stating that while he still recommend Fireclean, he had seen it gum up on a 1911 that had been sitting unfired for a little while, so I won't be surprised if the same thing happens again. And if it does, I'll ditch it just like I did Froglube. But I'm not taking a Facebook post as gospel and will have to experience it firsthand.

This really actually surprises me. I've honestly had no issues and never did it right lol.
Results seem to be all over the place. Some folks love it and some have had the exact same experience I did. Don't know why. Personally, I think that they have some inconsistencies in how the Froglube is produced. No matter why, the sheer number of people that have experienced an issue should cause anyone considering using it to reconsider if it's worth the trouble. It's not like I'm one in a million. This has been pretty thoroughly documented all over the gun forums as a very common issue.

I'll stick with CLP for everything. I don't worry about it freezing up, it keeps rust off my guns, and lubes sufficiently enough. Sure, it doesn't stay around like a grease or heavy oil would, but I clean my guns pretty often anyway. Only guns I have that I would require to shoot lots of rounds between cleanings are my AK and my Mossberg 500, and I'm confident that they would run just fine with no lubrication.

Back
Top Bottom