• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone here buy stocks?

www_marketwatch_com_kaavio_Webhost_charts_big_chart_d0dfcff2916a8ac5b93a7838bb43b6c4._.gif

Top line is silver ETF SLV.
2nd line is gold ETF GLD.
3rd line is S&P ETF SPY
4th line is Dow ETF DIA

Any questions?

Read the book "One up on Wall Street" by Peter Lynch. Gives great explanations on things like P/E ratios and PEG ratios. Talks about how to pick stocks when to buy and sell. It's an older book but still very easy to understand and I have made a lot of money using it.

Agree. Decent platform and easy to use with low fees.

The PM crowd is usually wrong. Don't get me wrong, gold has a large place in my portfolio but unless the scenario is significant inflation you will miss out on return.

Great advice all the way around.

More good advice. Bogleheads are great, but MrMoneyMustache is probably the simplest way to show you can actually achieve complete financial freedom even on a modest income.

More good advice. Your biggest enemy in investing is not other investors, it's you. "Be fearful when others are greedy, and be greedy when others are fearful" - Warren Buffet. But nearly impossible to do without nerves of steel. Dollar cost averaging is the second best, with yearly rebalance.

IBs whole platform is a real PITA to use, with zero customer service. It's cheap for an active trader but not worth the 10 bucks a year you might save using Fidelity.

Always take the free money from an employer antime you can.

Your savings rate completely dwarfs your investment return, make sure you have that squared away first.

If you want to come down to Vinings I will buy you a beer and we can discuss in depth. I am not selling financial advice or anything else. Just want to help as I have been helped.

A fellow Mustachian!

Read the book "One up on Wall Street" by Peter Lynch. Gives great explanations on things like P/E ratios and PEG ratios. Talks about how to pick stocks when to buy and sell. It's an older book but still very easy to understand and I have made a lot of money using it.

My advice would be to read the book for entertainment value. I have read it, and the only thing that is wrong with it is that it conveys to people that they individually can outperform the market. Which they can't for any significant period of time (well, maybe a few can but that is a whole other discussion). Why are the Ivy League educated hedge fund billionaires who spend Millions on researching individual stocks unable to consistently beat the market?

Sure you'll meet many people on teh interwebz that claim they consistently beat the market, but if they could why wounld't they STFU about their method, lever up, and be on their yacht surrounded by hookers and blow by now?

Why no one in the real investing world takes Peter Lynch seriously:

1. The average person investing in Peter Lynch's Magellan fund LOST MONEY. I know, mind blowing, right? Seriously. Google it.

2. When Peter Lynch started, there were a few hundred other fund managers starting at the same time like there are every year. If you have 400 monkeys flipping coins, statistically speaking one of them will flip heads 10 times in a row. Is Peter Lynch a lucky monkey, or did he have real alpha? The world may never know. Just like Bill Miller from Legg Mason Trust who was famous for consistently beating the market. Until he consistently didn't.
Can you pick out who will be the next Peter Lynch or Bill Miller? I can't.

Edit: There are probably managers who have real alpha. But they wouldn't take money from the likes of you and me. Closest I can find is Kyle Bass with Hayman who has a $5 Million dollar minimum. People like Seth Klarman haven't accepted newmoney in years.

My advice would be to read the book for entertainment value. I have read it, and the only thing that is wrong with it is that it conveys to people that they individually can outperform the market. Which they can't for any significant period of time (well, maybe a few can but that is a whole other discussion). Why are the Ivy League educated hedge fund billionaires who spend Millions on researching individual stocks unable to consistently beat the market?

Sure you'll meet many people on teh interwebz that claim they consistently beat the market, but if they could why wounld't they STFU about their method, lever up, and be on their yacht surrounded by hookers and blow by now?

Why no one in the real investing world takes Peter Lynch seriously:

1. The average person investing in Peter Lynch's Magellan fund LOST MONEY. I know, mind blowing, right? Seriously. Google it.

2. When Peter Lynch started, there were a few hundred other fund managers starting at the same time like there are every year. If you have 400 monkeys flipping coins, statistically speaking one of them will flip heads 10 times in a row. Is Peter Lynch a lucky monkey, or did he have real alpha? The world may never know. Just like Bill Miller from Legg Mason Trust who was famous for consistently beating the market. Until he consistently didn't.
Can you pick out who will be the next Peter Lynch or Bill Miller? I can't.

Edit: There are probably managers who have real alpha. But they wouldn't take money from the likes of you and me. Closest I can find is Kyle Bass with Hayman who has a $5 Million dollar minimum. People like Seth Klarman haven't accepted newmoney in years.
And read the book "The Creature From Jekyl Island" if you want to know how our economic system REALLY works.

Look again. Aug 2016 Gold 1360. Today fixing 1210. Silver 21, today 17
When the USD goes to "0", physical gold and silver still have value. Gold and silver are bought as a life insurance policy on your paper assets, all of which will be worth "0" at some point. The trick is to have a chair when the music stops.

Back
Top Bottom