• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone here like REAL old-fashioned cocktails?

JHV2

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
53   0
Reaction score
Not meaning to sound like a rant but I was in an expensive downtown eatery and ordered an old fashioned. When I got it, I had no idea what all it contained, and I did not even doing it. I was with business associates so did not confront the confused/uninformed/new age bartender and just ask "just why did you have to screw with a 100+ year old drink?"

I have drunk whiskey for most of my life -- straight, water, rocks, soda. I have recently (past 5 years or so) discovered classic cocktails. I trend toward whiskey items, old fashion, manhattan etc but also enjoy G&T and Martini every once in awhile. However it seems that the current crop of bartenders do not know how to actually make these drinks. Too much sugar syrup, mulled fruit, soda -- it kind of reminds me of a cruse ship crowd.

Who else here likes REAL traditional cocktails? Share your favorite, or even recipe.
(Note: if your doing is XXX and some sugar based soft drink, or a martini made with Vodka -- have fun, but that is NOT what I am talking about.)

Old fashion is my go to. I have had words with a few bartender in the past few years about their creations. If I wanted what they felt like making I would have asked. I want what I ask for. I got rasberrys is a old fashion not to log ago, I said my words to him and he proceeded to fill a low ball glass to the brim with woodford so I would shut up.

Sent from my Obama iPhone using Tapatalk

I was a bartender 25+ years ago, tended everywhere from NYC to Fort Bragg to St John USVI. I joke and say I tended bar at a time when you had to specify if you wanted your martini made with vodka. The looks I get from the all-knowing millenials are like I just sprouted a lampshade from the side of my neck... As for my favorite drink, it's still a good sweet bourbon and scare it with a little ginger ale.

Ever tried a "Man'O'War" ? Discovered it in Lexington KY recently. Yes, it does have some fruit but it is an awesome whiskey drink on a hot day.

2 or three fresh strawberry slices in bottom of tall glass. Drop in a few sprigs of fresh basil. Use a pestle to crush...just a little, no mush. 2 to 3 oz of Makers Mark to taste. Top off with some ice, not too much...then fill with lemonade (fresh if available). Stir gently...not to bottom of glass. Leave it dirty. Enjoy.

(Reminds me of a whiskey mohito)

My old school go-to is a good shot of rye with a draft with a good head. Wipe the foam out of your beard with a bar towel.

Or a good single malt IRISH ( like Connemara ) with one real ice cube.

I treat myself to a Rye Manhattan ever now and again, but I have to know that the bartender knows how to make one.

For really festive occasions, I will have an Old Fashioned.

And just every so often, a Martini. If the bartender asks if I how I want it made, I cancel the order,

I like a "tom Collins". I have always made it with, and believe it is supposed to be made, with Gin. The full recipe is Gin, a splash of Rose's lime juice, and soda/seltzer water. Or if I make fresh, I use lime juice and simple syrup.

When I order a Tom Collins out, they always make it with Vodka. I have to explain "that's a VODKA Collins! I asked for a Tom Collins!". Many times I have to tell the bartender how to make it. I've learned to tell them Gin and tonic, with a splash of Rose's. That usually works well enough. But the worst was once when I was up in Indiana, ordered one out at a work gathering, and they brought me a pink drink! WTF??? Pink. Now, I'm a girl, and I have no objection to pink drinks, but I don't even know what the heck that was.

Back
Top Bottom