• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone using ultrasonics to clean?

Couple of other comments...

Lots of big ultrasonics on the market for tattoo equipment cleaning.

You don't want the water too hot... if it's too easy to form bubbles, like in boiling water, they don't collapse hard. Around 170 is what my research indicates is optimum.

You need to run it for a few minutes (5? 10?) to degas tap water-- to get the dissolved air out of the water. Until then, the bubbles don't collapse as hard. Though you can do that with parts in it. Just realize it will work better after a few minutes of running. Three minutes with degassed tap water will clean a lot better than three minutes with fresh tap water. I degas while it's heating up, though I do keep the tray, if not the "stuff" in it while I'm doing it, though I don't know if it matters.

I hear about all the chemicals people add-- I don't do carbs or suppressors; maybe there's value with the extra chemicals in those cases. But plain old BLUE Dawn dishwashing liquid and water will clean the snot out of brass and most gun parts. 2.5 liters water, two tablespoons (or whatever) of Dawn works like gangbusters for me. With degassed water, at 170 degrees.

It doesn't hurt to move the parts or brass around every couple of minutes, so there are no standing waves preventing the bubbles on particular dirty spots. A unit with frequency sweep will make this less or unnecessary at all, but I get by moving stuff around a bit. I use wooden chopsticks, but I have those at hand.

I've been chicken to run painted sights in there; I've seen what it does to chrome or nickel plating... and it ain't pretty. I won't put painted anything in there, though your mileage may vary. I'm chicken to put jewelry in there, and would never put a watch in there. There is no ambiguity with my unit-- it works. Scarily well.

If it ain't clean in 10 minutes with 170 degree degassed water, it probably ain't comin' clean in there, from what I've seen. Maybe those other chemicals (Simple Green, Pine-Sol, mineral spirits, whatever) might help. But try just Dawn, heat and degassing first. In my opinion.

The only thing I don't have routinely spotless are AR bolts. That carbon buildup on the tail doesn't seem to want to come off, without a little scraping, before or after the bath. Maybe I should throw in some carbon killer; I don't know. It's still 90% easier than without the US. Then a rapid dunk in ATF or motor oil, let the parts drain on a rag overnight, and back in the gun.

On a scale of 1- 10 how dirty these were it would probably be a 7. Had some good thick chunks of fouling behind the mouse holes. This is after 3 hours of; gloves, paper towels, clp, nylon brush, brass brush, dental pic, elbow grease, more paper towels lots of picking. They're pretty dang clean for hand work, Needless to say.....I'm going back to The Dip. I got a hazmat guy. Can't beat the results.
IMG_4764.JPG

Hardest ish ever to clean. Only the Dip has been able to knock that crap off.
IMG_4766.JPG

I use this one.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009B2BIKY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use the purple simple green every time I clean a glock, completely disassembled. I have also used it on my nickel boron BCG's with no ill effect that I'm aware of. Also, use it to clean the cans. I didn't plan it this way but I don't think I own anything nice enough yet that won't survive the purple stuff in the ultrasonic.

I run it 3 times in a row on the longest 480 second setting. Three times is the max it can go without needing a break. If whatever in there is still dirty I will take a break and run it again.

I've been chicken to run painted sights in there; I've seen what it does to chrome or nickel plating... and it ain't pretty. I won't put painted anything in there, though your mileage may vary. I'm chicken to put jewelry in there, and would never put a watch in there. There is no ambiguity with my unit-- it works. Scarily well.

Cleaning jewelry is one of the most popular uses for ultrasonic cleaners.

What a racket! All this cleaning and crap. You should be able to get the guts that go in it for $9.95 or the entire thing needs to be disposable. Oh, I forgot about the tax stamp. This is were they "got you". They know you are stuck with having to clean a pig that goes in a crap hole everyday.

Cleaning jewelry is one of the most popular uses for ultrasonic cleaners.

Oh, I hear you. But is it safe for emeralds or rubies-- which have natural fissures, unlike diamonds?

I've seen the cheap "ultrasonic" cleaners for jewelry that don't really work-- they won't blow holes in aluminum foil, for example. They're pretty much a ripoff, but they're also therefore certainly safe for jewelry. Mine... I'm reluctant.

What a racket! All this cleaning and crap. You should be able to get the guts that go in it for $9.95 or the entire thing needs to be disposable. Oh, I forgot about the tax stamp. This is were they "got you". They know you are stuck with having to clean a pig that goes in a crap hole everyday.
The tube is the only thing serialized, I wish they sold replacement baffles and end caps readily. Only option you really get as far as baffles is if you baffle strike or damage and mail the suppressor to them for replacement or re-core. Guess they're scared to ship K baffles in the mail.

Back
Top Bottom