Anyone volunteer to coach for your kids team?

reklawd

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
2   0
Reaction score
Tomorrow night we have our first practice for my 5 year old's soccer team. I've volunteered to be the head coach (since no one stepped up) and I don't have any assistant coaches. Just me and eight 4- 5 year old's.

I've read the coaching guide that was provided and have watched some online videos. But I'm actually kinda nervous. I know it won't be doing too much actual coaching given their ages ... mainly just focusing on keeping their attention and making it fun.

Any advice or encouragement welcome.

Yes. Some of the best times of my life. Coached my boys teams about four years to U10. At that point parents will hire professionals. Two of the best things I did was (1) get the parents involved and make sure the parents understand that their kids won't run as fast or defend as well late in the game so always be positive and (2) invest in a soccer clip board so you can show the kids the positions they are playing for the game. I still have all the pics of my teams. Enjoy these angels!

It's pretty simple. Encourage the kids to have fun and just teach the basics. No matter what you do well, the parents who won't help at practice will show up at every game and bitch about what you do wrong. I lasted about 1 1/2 seasons before I had enough of the idiot parents and gave up. My kids are adults now and turned out pretty great. I hope those other kids abandon their parents in a nursing home at the first opportunity.

Pump them full of red koolaid and gummy bears right before the game....they'll be humming around the field like a swarm of yellow jackets! The other team won't stand a chance!

I never the parents complaints impact my love for their kids. A lot of parents never played sports if any kind so at beginning of season the parent played against their kids + me in a thirty minute scrimmage. Most parents responded well and we're more supportive of their kids while they were in the field. Most seasons I was able to get at least one parent to assist, but most are reluctant.

I coach. At that age just getting them up and down the field safely is a win. Just teach them to pass, and to shoot on the other teams goal. They will shoot on their own goal. It’s funny but just be kind and firm on the redirection. Make it about them and have fun.

Rotate players for equal playing time or the parents will roast you alive!

Pep talk at halftime.

Have fun and stay positive.

Line up to shake hands with the other team at the end of the game.

TEACH/ preach good sportsmanship.

Hydrate!

At that age you can't expect to teach them more than the very basics. Steal the ball when you can, keep the ball close in front of you, maintain control of the ball. Except for an occasional superstar none of them will master these things for a few years. This is freeing for you, because there's no reason to focus on complex strategies. Just stand back, watch the controlled chaos, and let them have fun.

Back
Top Bottom