• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR style 9mm pistols - what to buy? Keltec Sub2000?

Plinker66

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
Warn your children about the Fentanyl
409   0
Reaction score
Im trying to find an AR-style 9mm pistol to set up for a tiny little friend of mine to plink with and have for home defense.

All I need is something that willl run reliably on cheap brass case Ammo.

What should I look for? Are the PSAs good value? Side charging? Colt or Glock? What is the best Barrel length? Is Last round bolt hold open better? Anything to avoid?

All opinions welcome. I really don’t know a thing about 9mm AR pistols. Thanks.

I got a PSA 16 inch carbine a while back and it’s been good to me. No issues cycling cheap ammo. It takes Glock mags, which is nice because I have a Glock. TBH though, I rarely use 33 round mags in a pistol and vice versa. The lower I got has a LRBHO, which I like. Easier to tell when I’m out of ammo.
What I don’t like is that the bolt feels very gritty when it’s new and it’s not always easy to seat the magazine in the rifle. I have to be pretty assertive inserting fresh mags.

I think barrel length is more of a personal presence because the powder is probably all burnt up after 4 or 5 inches of barrel anyways.

Have you considered a Keltec Sub 2000? I know you mentioned AR style.. But we have a couple, they run great and something you mentioned about a smaller frame, this may fit the bill. My wife and youngest son love them. Runs all the G17 mags and are a great Truck/BOB gun...

Thought I'd share.

TNW Aero Survival Rifle also runs off of Glock mags as an alternative and it looks like an AR but has the take-down capability.

+1 for the Kel-Tec Sub2000. Can use Glock mags and has rails for a light or whatever.

Sub2K is going to be the cheaper solution. Mine runs like a top. Even takes the 50rd drums for the Glock.

Good luck in the hunt!

Back
Top Bottom