• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR style 9mm pistols - what to buy? Keltec Sub2000?

My wife does not like shooting my SUB-2000. That is due to having to get down so low with your face against the buffer tube and experiencing the recoil. While It doesn't bother me it's not as shooter friendly as an AR due to the low sights unless you mount a red dot which kills the fold up feature.

My wife does not like shooting my SUB-2000. That is due to having to get down so low with your face against the buffer tube and experiencing the recoil. While It doesn't bother me it's not as shooter friendly as an AR due to the low sights unless you mount a red dot which kills the fold up feature.

Or then makes it the same size as an AR!....

I can understand that. Personally I'd prefer the Sub 2K with sight for both plinking and home defense to an AR pistol.

9mm ARs are a lot of fun. I have all Glock handguns so the Glock mag is a given. I' would not go with the pistol, though. You don't save much space over a short carbine and you give up a lot in terms of accuracy and functionality.

Any particular reason for an AR 9mm pistol for home defense ?

I was thinking 9mm to minimize the recoil and noise for a small inexperienced shooter.

I was thinking AR pistol because an AR pistol is a little easier to handle than a carbine.

I had not considered any frames other than the AR style. Because I dont know anything about the other frames.

The Keltec looks great but the internet specs says it has a 9.5 pound trigger pull which concerns me a bit.

I’ll go rent one and give it a try.

Thanks everyone.

I was thinking 9mm to minimize the recoil and noise for a small inexperienced shooter.

I was thinking AR pistol because an AR pistol is a little easier to handle than a carbine.

I had not considered any frames other than the AR style. Because I dont know anything about the other frames.

The Keltec looks great but the internet specs says it has a 9.5 pound trigger pull which concerns me a bit.

I’ll go rent one and give it a try.

Thanks everyone.

The Kel-Tec is great if you *need* a folding rifle. I have one in my go bag. Having said that, I am not impressed with the quality (I have taken it completely apart so I've seen every piece) and would not buy it if not for the ability to fold in half... in its full size, it's not that much smaller than a standard carbine.

Aren't the sights on the Kel-Tec plastic?

The more I think about home defense, the more a pistol makes sense. It's not like 9x19 is a powerhouse round, a pistol is way smaller and easy to keep close by, it's cheaper, and really handy. An AR pistol certainly isn't something that I would want to lug around the house. The only advantage I can see is that it makes it easier to utilize 30+ round capacity mags. If you need that for home defense, that's your call, but to me this isn't worth the trade off.

With the above being said, you should get an AR pistol anyways.

I agree that a handgun makes more sense for home defense.

I’m going fer a longer (hold on with two hands) gun cuz I think they are safer and more fun for a new shooter.

The Keltec has me interested cuz it sounds like it’s gonna be much lighter than an AR frame pistol. And dirt cheep too. I hope the Keltec sights and trigger don’t scare me off.

I agree that a handgun makes more sense for home defense.

I’m going fer a longer (hold on with two hands) gun cuz I think they are safer and more fun for a new shooter.

The Keltec has me interested cuz it sounds like it’s gonna be much lighter than an AR frame pistol. And dirt cheep too. I hope the Keltec sights and trigger don’t scare me off.
FWIW, heavier trigger pull on a home defense weapon isn't necessarily a bad thing. Like what another poster said, it would be nice with an optic. Wouldn't have to worry about plastic sights and it's easy for a new or inexperienced shooter to pick up shooting with a red dot. Sounds like an MPX, Scorpion, or MP5K would be the optimal solution, but those are $$$$$$.

If you're smart with shopping for a Sub2K and buy one at a good price, you could shoot it, figure out if you want to keep it, and if not, sell it without taking a substantial loss. You would have a better idea of what you wanted out of a weapon and a point of reference.

I would be all over the keltec sub2k (again) if they had a pistol version. I'm currently waiting on the PSA stuff to come back in stock. I want the 10.5 or shorter because if I'm shooting 147 grain 9mm's I want them to be subsonic. I've read a bunch of stuff that says it's kind of hit or miss with altitude and from brand to brand with a 16" barrel and 147's.

Back
Top Bottom