• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Arrest warrant issued: Jalen Carter involvement in fatal crash of UGA staffer and teammate

Had to sober up bro.
Down the road in one of the inevitable lawsuits, someone is going to want to know why ACCPD didn't make him blow when he finally showed up. Pretty SOP because DUIs and underage drinking are big money makers here.

Saying that he shouldn't be charged because he didn't make contact with the other vehicle is a pretty fine line, which I'm not sure would bear examination if other ACCPD cases of a similar nature were examined.

So, just to clarify, Jalen was not driving the vehicle that wrecked, and apparently did not cause the other vehicle to lose control and crash.
Those actions were the fault of the other intoxicated driver above their skill level and failing to maintain control, and their fault only.
So, in my book, Jalen gets ticketed for racing (and DUI if he was over level) only.

Anyone who has never street raced after a few adult beverages,
Check in here….

and be truthful…

So, just to clarify, Jalen was not driving the vehicle that wrecked, and apparently did not cause the other vehicle to lose control and crash.
Those actions were the fault of the other intoxicated driver above their skill level and failing to maintain control, and their fault only.
So, in my book, Jalen gets ticketed for racing (and DUI if he was over level) only.

Check in here….

and be truthful…
Checking in

Some of the best advise I've heard and these dummies need: "If you're going to break the law, only break one at a time."

Down the road in one of the inevitable lawsuits, someone is going to want to know why ACCPD didn't make him blow when he finally showed up. Pretty SOP because DUIs and underage drinking are big money makers here.

Saying that he shouldn't be charged because he didn't make contact with the other vehicle is a pretty fine line, which I'm not sure would bear examination if other ACCPD cases of a similar nature were examined.
Do you think a creative prosecutor could argue factual causation to charge Jalen with contributing to the accident?

Check in here….

and be truthful…
Checking in. Done plenty of dumb stuff, but not that.

Yeah....did some pretty damned stupid stuff before and after college.....

......but nobody got hurt bad or died.
I was a very good/fast driver back in the day but was equally foolishly blind to my mortality. I will swear to it that angels held my car on the road on a very curvy section in a heavily wooded area. I had two other young souls in the car with me and was doing nearly 80 in a 35-45 stretch. I remember feeling the passenger side wheels creeping off the edge of the road and realizing I had nothing left to offer. Could neither brake nor push to accelerate through the turn. Its an old narrow road that had a concrete outer edge paved as an add on cause it was just so old and narrow. I have no other explanation for what kept us on that road. Glad I didn't kill anyone and grateful for the angel's grace.

Checking in. Done plenty of dumb stuff, but not that.
Yep. A much much younger version raced and drove when I shouldn't have plenty of times. Never together. Kind of irrelevant to the case though. He got preferential treatment previously (as the cop admitted) and it ultimately led to death. Just sad.

Do you think a creative prosecutor could argue factual causation to charge Jalen with contributing to the accident?

I think so, and it wouldn't take a particularly creative prosecutor, which is perfect, because we for sure don't have one.

Vehicular homicide reads:

Article 15 - Serious Traffic Offenses​

§ 40-6-393. Homicide by Vehicle​

Any person who, without malice aforethought, causes the death of another person through the violation...Code Section 40-6-390 ... commits the offense of homicide by vehicle in the first degree and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than three years nor more than 15 years.

ARTICLE 15 - SERIOUS TRAFFIC OFFENSES​

§ 40-6-390 - Reckless driving​

(a) Any person who drives any vehicle in reckless disregard for the safety of persons or property commits the offense of reckless driving.
So it's not much of a stretch to charge Jalen with "reckless driving" because regardless of whether there was an accident or not, driving a Jeep in excess of 100 MPH in a 45 MPH zone is "reckless disregard for the safety of persons." The law doesn't limit the charge to persons in the vehicle, or even persons in the accident - it's any "persons". Frankly I don't understand how he didn't pick up a reckless driving charge, again, being familiar with the practices and customs of ACCPD.

So the key issue is "causation" - Did Jalen's obvious reckless driving "cause" the death of two people?

That question is almost a textbook, bar exam example of a "question of fact" that should be decided by a trier of fact -i.e. a jury. So when you read the relevant statutes, charging him with vehicular homicide is not that far fetched.

What's really really interesting is Jalen's quick plea to the only misdemeanor he was charged with, bars the prosecutor from taking a second look at the facts, and bring a felony charge later. More inside baseball, the prosecutor who agreed to the pleas to the misdemeanor is not the same prosecutor for the felony, yet his (and the judge's) action in accepting the plea bar any further felony charges by the appropriate prosecutor. You can bet Kim Stephens (Jalen's attorney) was working overtime to get that charge in front of a judge and disposed of.

Back
Top Bottom