• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Asset seizure without warrants.....it's back!

FTFY?

Crooked is kind of a strong word. Maybe "act in their own best interest" is more accurate IMHO.

They are not sworn "to act in their own best interest" they are sworn to serve and protect.

If a bank teller keeps 25 cents out of the daily deposits, is that stealing or just their own best interest?

Law enforcement took more stuff from people than burglars did last year

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...tuff-from-people-than-burglars-did-last-year/

Notice the dip in 2012-13 then the rebound and back on track. Civil asset forfeiture is becoming an important tool for the state's to plunder and growing. Note this is only federal totals and not state or local seizures. The total asset forfeiture haul for 14 states topped $250 million in 2013. The grand 50-state total would probably be much higher

If they seize $10K or less without any formal charge the cost of getting back can be more than the money legally stolen. Most let them keep it as it is the cost to get it back makes it a unwise budget choice.

Now consider the amount of income that is gained from traffic tickets for "public safety".

imrs.php

Man travelling to buy a business has $160K no charges given took a year, lawyer/fees and a $5K bribe/settlement.

Tennessee Cop Robs Driver Of $22,000 After Traffic Stop... Guilty until the citizen proves their innocent (lawyered up).

And if I take someone's money that I'm NOT entitled to and demand in return that a portion of that money I will keep in order for me to surrender that money back to the rightful owner.... is called extortion.

Unless I am an agent of local/state/federal government then it's just business.

Notice the dip in 2012-13 then the rebound and back on track. Civil asset forfeiture is becoming an important tool for the state's to plunder and growing. Note this is only federal totals and not state or local seizures. The total asset forfeiture haul for 14 states topped $250 million in 2013. The grand 50-state total would probably be much higher

If they seize $10K or less without any formal charge the cost of getting back can be more than the money legally stolen. Most let them keep it as it is the cost to get it back makes it a unwise budget choice.

Now consider the amount of income that is gained from traffic tickets for "public safety".

imrs.php

Man travelling to buy a business has $160K no charges given took a year, lawyer/fees and a $5K bribe/settlement.

absolutely disgusting

So does anyone here actually know how this process works?
Does anyone know what seized funds can and can't be used for?
Does anyone know the difference in different levels of proof?
Does anyone that Georgia already has state seizure laws?

Back
Top Bottom