• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

ATF "laws"

If this is about ATF cracking down on these 95% complete silencer kits falsely sold as "solvent traps" or some other BS... yes ATF has been taking legal action against the distributors and manufacturers of these products. Been doing it for a few years at least since 2018.

When ATF's crackdown is more fully implemented and widely known in the industry, it will come to the point that manufactures and distributors will not be in the business of selling silencer kits and silencer parts kits anymore. That will mean if you want to do a Form 1 build of your own silencer, you will actually have to start with raw material and do all the metal work yourself.

I don't like it, but ATF's position is consistent with the laws actually passed by Congress and it is a reasonable exercise of the rule-making authority delegated to them (because Congress doesn't know squat about guns or silencers but ATF is an agency with expertise.)

And, all this mess is exactly why when I won a suppressor on an ODT giveaway a couple years ago, I gave it back and ask Okuma to give it away again. The drive, (almost 2 hours) to get the paper work filled out, then home, then back maybe a year and $200 later to pick it up, hell naww, they can hear my boolets coming.

Silencers are actually much easier to buy in many countries with strict gun control. Yet here we have to jump through hoops because of the gangsters of the 1920's and 1930's and the misunderstanding of what they actually do. It's ignorance that is keeping them a Class III item.
Truth. In many "foreign" countries suppressors (mufflers) are considered a courtesy to those around you for hunting and nuisance animal removal.

Yeah, I actively lobbied for the Hearing Protection Act to be passed, which would classify firearm silencers the same way as firearms themselves-- private individuals could sell them and trade them, tax-free. Buying a new one would require no more paperwork than buying any ordinary rifle or pistol.

But, this would take action by Congress because Congress itself changed the definition of a silencer to include silencer internal components (baffles, wipes) or external tubes. Because all through the 1970s and 1980s you could see ads in the back of gun magazines for silencer parts kits (or one company would sell just the silencer tubes, and another company would just sell the baffles / wipes. Congress was notified about how companies were taking advantage of these loopholes in a poorly written law and closed those loopholes back in the late 1980s.)

If this is about ATF cracking down on these 95% complete silencer kits falsely sold as "solvent traps" or some other BS... yes ATF has been taking legal action against the distributors and manufacturers of these products. Been doing it for a few years at least since 2018.

When ATF's crackdown is more fully implemented and widely known in the industry, it will come to the point that manufactures and distributors will not be in the business of selling silencer kits and silencer parts kits anymore. That will mean if you want to do a Form 1 build of your own silencer, you will actually have to start with raw material and do all the metal work yourself.

I don't like it, but ATF's position is consistent with the laws actually passed by Congress and it is a reasonable exercise of the rule-making authority delegated to them (because Congress doesn't know squat about guns or silencers but ATF is an agency with expertise.)

I with you. That guy is actually really solid. He has an SOT, is/was military, and possess lots of knowledge. Anytime I hear info like this, I research on my own. I’m no lawyer but he’s always been spot on.

Back
Top Bottom