• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Best bang for the buck .22LR ammo?

I shoot the CCI mini mags in most of my 22s . Bought a couple cases of Eley for my Anshultz target rifle and also shoot it in kimber Government model . Bought several cases of federal American Eagle 22 about 5 years ago for grand kids and wife to have cheep ammo for shooting cans and targets and it turned out to be great ammo, accurate and reliable.

I almost only use CCI Standard Velocity now. It very well rounded (pun intended) for all rifles and pistols. It's potent enough for any squirrels and critters, incredibly accurate and most importantly reliable & consistent. Over the years, hunting with CCI stingers, and Velocitors, I found that Velocitors were the best 22lr hunting ammo money could buy. However the best all around ammo is CCI Standard Velocity. I also have tried their green tag ammo, which I could not distinguish what the difference was other than paying nearly double. One of my favorite aspects to the Standard Velocity CCI's is it is essentially the most potent subsonic ammo as it is moving 1040ft/s. It is subsonic for all of my suppressed rifles and pistols. That's huuuge benefit to me. No specialty subsonic ammo needed since the Standard Velocity is subsonic.

They are once again available from the local walmart for about $4.5 per box of 50. It took me by surprise seeing them in a busy area walmart a year ago. I asked for 20 of them, and they said they had a 2 box limit. So I bought two boxes twice a day for a week. Once at 8am with one employee, and once at 8pm with the next shift employee. On the 4-5th day I noticed they had the 500rnd bricks they use to restock, sitting at the bottom of the cabinet. So I asked for "two boxes" of those and they sold them to me lol. I think they ring up around $45 a brick. At gun stores they still charge ridiculous $8-11 for CCI 50 rounders, but check your local walmart now, as they are more than likely available at $4.XX prices. At that price, they are definitely my bulk 22 goto, rather than Remington or Federal FTF garbage.

A general recommendation isn't much use because your rifle may hate the particular recommendation. You want subsonic for accuracy. The trouble I have with most of the cheaper standard velocity products is they're sometimes sub and sometimes super depending on weather and which cartridge. Shooting ten shot groups in different conditions finds this..

A balance of cost and accuracy has so far been most often found with Italian made Fiocchi.

Cci standard velocity or the federal Automatch 325 round boxes from Walmart. See which your rifle shoots better and stock up.

FYI check the cci website as they usually have standard and quiet in stock these days if Walmart is out. $50/brick from cci.

If you are going to order online eley or SK in the variety that fits your budget. Or Wolf. Their 22lr stuff is very good.

Back
Top Bottom