• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Biden admin press release on firearm suicide prevention

I don't disagree that is their overarching agenda. But let's be honest: People kill themselves with guns, and some of that is preventable. No harm in the dealer handing out a government printed pamphlet to a first time gun buyer that says, "Hey, consider using a fast access safe to keep your Tik Tok addicted teenager from ready access to a loaded handgun."

That's different than, "Per ATF reg 12345, you must lock this unloaded gun up, and keep the ammo locked in a different place."
I don't disagree. Veterans suicides are a rapidly escalating issue that needs to be addressed no arguments there.
The problem is any initiative this administration or any other leftist administration has will ultimately lead to further erosion of everyone's (except themselves) personal freedoms.
Everything that these people put forth has an ulterior motive that means more control for them and less control over our own lives. It may sound harmless or even helpful but you can almost guarantee it's just the next step in their ultimate endgame on gun control.

Studies have shown that reducing access to lethal means, including firearms and medications—particularly in times of crisis—can save lives.

aka Red Flag Laws

Suicide crises are often brief, so strategies that create “time and space” between a person in crisis and their access to a firearm are lifesaving.

aka Red Flag Laws

Educate the public on lethal means safety, and in turn encourage safer storage practices, safety planning, and time and space behavioral measures for crisis response.

aka Red Flag Laws

WAIT FOR IT........................

Literally the last sentence:

The President continues to urge Congress to pass an appropriate national “red flag” law, as well as legislation incentivizing states to pass their own versions of these laws.

Literally RED FLAG LAWS

New initiatives, announced yesterday:

I have to give them credit. I don't see a single thing in the memo that oversteps their authority. They basically want to run public relations campaigns about safe gun storage and suicide prevention. More training and resources for VA staff to better help at risk veterans who haven't been admitted to a hospital. The memo also goes on to say they want to go after FFLs who are willfull 1st time offenders in regards to selling to prohibited persons, not running background checks, etc. While I'm always concerned about ATF abuse and overreach, I have no problem with FFLs getting busted when they knowingly break the fundamental rules of being an FFL.

Plenty of room for debate on whether or not the feds should be spending our tax dollars on such things, but I find public relations campaigns far less onerous than trying to codify new restrictions on our rights.
Literally 50 yrs worth of anti 2A rhetoric and attempted legislation to completely disarm the law abiding public, and you think he is trustworthy enough now to run a “public relations campaign” concerning firearm safety and prevention ?
Nah, no ulterior motive there !

FJB. They don't actually care about reducing suicides, only ultimately reducing private firearm ownership to zero.

Do we care about reducing firearm suicides?

I do. If somebody says, "Hey, let's make sure new gun owners have info about what options they have for securing their guns," I've got no problem with that. I'm in favor.

As Gingerbeard said above, more education is always better. We share a country with our political adversaries. Sometimes it's a good idea, when the adversaries don't engage in the usual shannanigans, to encourage them to continue doing things that ARE legal and respectful of the Constitution.

Do we care about reducing firearm suicides?

I do. If somebody says, "Hey, let's make sure new gun owners have info about what options they have for securing their guns," I've got no problem with that. I'm in favor.

As Gingerbeard said above, more education is always better. We share a country with our political adversaries. Sometimes it's a good idea, when the adversaries don't engage in the usual shannanigans, to encourage them to continue doing things that ARE legal and respectful of the Constitution.
But are they though?
I'm really torn on this. First with the plandemic and then the fiasco in Afghanistan veteran suicides are reaching critical mass and something needs to be done. Veterans organizations like the AL and VFW and even the VA have implemented programs to reach out to veterans who are struggling and that's a very positive thing that needs to be expanded and enhanced.
The issue of course is that these people in power are completely untrustworthy and couldn't give a rat's ass about veterans.
Their own rhetoric says that veterans are a danger to the nation and are all "potential domestic terrorists".
It's a damn shame that we're so polarized that something as straightforward as suicide prevention has to be viewed with a skeptical eye.

Back
Top Bottom