Votes: 16 16.2%
  • NO, I wont sign your copy or show you any type of ID

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • NO, Ill show ya ID though.

Votes: 34 34.3%
  • I like PIE!

Votes: 14 14.1%

• Total voters
About 30 years ago I handled a quick swap, got one fellow a rifle he wanted and the other a shotgun. I knew both of them, some months later (after I had moved out of the area) one called me saying that the police had checked the shotgun and it was stolen. A couple of phone calls later it was straightened out. The shotgun had been bought new from a hardware store and the cops had a misfiled serial number on a stolen firearms report. If I hadn't been around to run it down for them a bill of sale sure would have helped out buddy number two with that shotgun. Just trying to say bad things sometimes happen even when everything is legitimate!

Really it's a moot point any way.

Lemme paint a pitcher:

You sell me a gun, no paperwork. I commit a crime and the gun is traced back to it's original purchaser(lets say YOU). GBI/FBI knocks on your door and you tell them you sold it to mdog. Now let's assume that this site is not and has not been monitored by ANY govmernemt agency. Said LE agency knocks on Okuma Steve's door. Is he going to refuse to release my cyber footprint? Not on your nelly. So next LE knocks on MY door. No bill of sale, photo copies, zilch.

Pitcher 2. You sell me a hot gun or one that was used in a crime. At some point I either sell it to a pawn or gun shop and the # gets in the system or I use it to protect myself or get pulled over and LE runs the #, whatever. Now I'm in hot water so I tell them "Hey I bought it from "Hotgunputz" on OTD. Poor old Steve gets another knock on the door and viola! LE gets the cyber info for the next link in the chain of custody.

We are all in the system and tracking us is a snap. If y'all think its a breeze to "wash" your cyber trail you've been watching too much "Chuck" and "NCIS".

Add layers of papers if ya want. I obey the LAW.

Layer or law?

The laws are those laws applicable to weapons transfers. Wish I could quote exactly the wording of the law regarding private sales but I can't. Maybe you can. I do know that by being willing to prove that I am in compliance by showing DL/GWL, I am meeting the GA legal requirement for private sale.

What I am NOT willing to do is add layers by photo-copying and signing non-legally required documents.

Exactly right CCW, there are NO laws regarding a BOS , which by omission means that a BOS is not legally required. So by stating I obey the law I am stating that I do NOT feel any need for a BOS. Anyone who does feel the need for one is entitled to feel comfortable naturally, It just means I will exercise my right not to buy from them...probly....Skitzo sure can tempt you tho. And too, I sometimes buy from gun shops and pawn shops so I'm not allergic to paperwork I just try to avoid it whenever I can.

Also, sending your DL info via internet to a stranger doesnt seem like a really good idea even when not associated with a gun sale. ID theft is scarey all by itsself.

Last edited:
True, but what if you sell a gun you bought legally to someone who commits a crime and says you lent him the gun for the crime? Or...better example. You sell a gun to a father, his son/daughter go to the range with him and on the first shot the gun blows up and hurts the child. Now the father wants to sue your butt b/c you sold him a defective firearm. You say you sold it as-is, he says you guaranteed it worked....gonna have to be sorted out in court. A BoS is just a little bit of protection that you did sell the gun (not an accomplice to a crime) and you sold it as-is (guy should have checked it out better before shooting it).

Noone wants big brother peeking into their house but unfortunately we live in a CYA world. I'll continue to cover mine as best I can, ya'll do what you want. ;)

I have done deals both ways...with and without BoS. I don't have a problem either way.

However, if you go for Option #3 - um, deal broken. If you won't provide me some form of ID, I won't hand a weapon over to you for any amount of money. That way, I can honestly say you are at least of age to own the gun, and are a valid resident of GA. That is all that is required by law...that the seller make sure the buyer can legally take possess of the firearm to the best of his ability.

A wise Elder told me he walked into the probate court over 40 yrs ago with his handgun loaded and unholsted to apply for his weapons permit.He then went on to say "If you can't provide me with a copy of your state id or weapons licence ,then we can't do business.This is so I know who I'm sellin to and buyn from".
So this has became my position after hearing those wise words from my and probably everone elses here Elder.

Last edited:
I know the government could find out that I have guns if they really want to, but I won't make it easy on them. That's why I only buy guns via FTF and I won't fill out a bill of sale. Once I put my name down, but that was it. No address, DL number or anything else. I'll show you my DL just so you know I live in GA, I expect the same from buyers.

Personally, I don't think a BoS really offers any protection from litigation. If someone wants to sue, they'll sue and I don't think the result will be any different. They won't be able to prove there was any guarantee on the gun and a lack of a written guarantee will hurt their case more. If you want to play the "what if" game, there's plenty of scenarios for both sides of the argument. I think it's always best to error on the side of caution... I just think it's wise to be cautious about different issues. Privacy is a key component of liberty, IMO. I think one way to keep privacy rights is to exercise them when at all possible.

That being said, I respect a seller's right to ask for a bill of sale, I just choose not to buy those items.

Back
Top Bottom