• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Body Armor or Not?

All level III composite armor is not created equal. There is Level III + armor out there that will stop mulit hits from 5.56 M855 and M193......but you are going to pay a premium for that kind of protection in a 5 to 6 lb plate.

The advantages of level III composite armor is weight reduction and mulit-hit rating, along with durability (depending on plate composition) against dropping banging against hard surfaces. The disadvantages are inability to stop 30 cal AP, sensitivity to heat/cold (Above 150, below -15 degrees) and prolonged UV.

The advantages of Level IV armor is single hit rating 30 cal AP protection (although I have seen a level IV plate take four 30-06 AP hits before it failed). The disadvantages are weight (though not quite as heavy as steel) and damage (micro fractures) from drops/banging against hard surfaces that can greatly reduce the effectiveness of the armor and as a result it should really have an annual x-ray to asses that.

The advantage of steel armor is reduced price....and just about nothing else.

Having worn worn both Level IV and Level III enhanced for extended periods of time, I would choose a bouncer with level IIIA soft armor and Level III enhanced plates any day and accept that if I get hit with a 30 cal AP round it's just my time. For me he reduced weight and increased maneuverability is worth the reduction in protection. In fact it's exactly what I have, Eagle Maritime CIRAS with Speer BALCS Cut Level IIIA soft armor and a MSA/Paraclete DHP3-1012 triple curve. Pricey rig for sure, not for everybody, but worth it to me. As always, YMMV.
That's great info. When I was saying level III is not rated I was not including Level IIIA (still questionable) or Level III + (which I trust to stop 5.56).

I think what you have done is a very good balance. Especially when you consider that .30 AP ammo is pretty rare with civilians, but the 5.56 Perpetrator is all over the place and is actually some of the least expensive 5.56 out there.

That's great info. When I was saying level III is not rated I was not including Level IIIA (still questionable) or Level III + (which I trust to stop 5.56).

I think what you have done is a very good balance. Especially when you consider that .30 AP ammo is pretty rare with civilians, but the 5.56 Perpetrator is all over the place and is actually some of the least expensive 5.56 out there.
If we lived in a world of no 5.56 M855 mild steel core or 5.45 7N6 I would rock 4 lb level III Dyneema plates and float like a butterfly!

If we lived in a world of no 5.56 M855 mild steel core or 5.45 7N6 I would rock 4 lb level III Dyneema plates and float like a butterfly!

Yep, level III+ has proven to do what level III does not do, though it was once believed that level III was more than it really was.
The thing that beats armor is speed. If III+ will stop xm193 5.56, which it has proven to do, I am confident enough with it.

I’ll check them out. The Condor seems well built enough, but I’m just not liking the cummerbund. It’s hot as hell in the summer and I’m never going to use side plates anyway, so I’d like the have a carrier that just buckles on the sides to allow more ventilation.

They make good stuff, some of the best stuff for the money, and believe it or not they are not much more expensive than Condor. VooDoo tactical is a good company. They have several different choices for carriers.

Yep, level III+ has proven to do what level III does not do, though it was once believed that level III was more than it really was.
The thing that beats armor is speed. If III+ will stop xm193 5.56, which it has proven to do, I am confident enough with it.
It'll stop it. I have seen it with my own eyes, 10 rounds in one plate.

Armor companies can be sketchy, but thankfully there are enough real reviews from somewhat trustworthy folks that prove some of the companies claims as truth and/or fiction. For a long time we hardly had any real information at all.

NIJ ratings are not official. I would not pay too much attention to some of the NIJ ratings claims. They can claim something without having it verified, and they do.

Purchasing armor should be a well researched endeavour. Even with the reviews out there the information for common folks is slim at best. Your questions are good ones, and the same questions any informed potential consumer will have when researching the topic. It isn't an impulse buy, but it isn't that difficult either, so check it out thoroughly and make a informed decision as to what will be best for you, and within your budget.

100% true NIJ actually has their list of what they have tested approved and certified, down to the model numbers from each company. MANY will claim NIJ compliant which is a whole different thing than NIJ certified. I just set up 5 new carriers while AR500 was having their customer appreciation sale over the holidays, tons of research went into my decision to go with their brand and their level III+ plates over other companies. Came from ceramic SAPI's and went to steel for my own reasons during research.

Ceramic? I figured that would be classified as level IV.
I'm also surprised it stopped multiple hits. That's impressive for a ceramic.
Nope, level III+. The ceramic component is very minimal in overall plate composition, the majority of the plate is compressed Dyneema. The small ceramic element combined with aluminum oxide pluses up the level protection without adding the full weight of a totally ceramic level IV plate. The 10x12 swimmers cut triple curve plate comes in at about 5.5 lbs.

Back
Top Bottom