• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Boykin spaniel advice

chpmn

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
0   0
Reaction score
looking at buying a Boykin spaniel. is it worth the money to get one with all the papers and certs, at least $1000. or no papers, about $300? this will be my first gun dog and I am not sure if it will be worth it. thanx

Either one would be dependant upon the parents. If they are hunters and you train the dog properly it shouldn't matter as long as you have time to train it. Otheriwse if it is registered and the parents are hunters and trained it might be worth it in the long run. Another option is Boykin Rescue Society. They have older dogs but not sure how suitable for hunting they would be now that I think about it. They are really great dogs! Good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

PS on another note at one point the Boykins were not AKC registered and refused to do so, so that is something to look into as well before you get one with so-called "papers"

They are like Labs in the way that as long as they are not gun-shy they love to retrieve and love water and are excellent retrievers. And they are small enough to be true inside dogs so that is a plus.

gotta ask yourself: will you want to breed it, do you want to participate in Boykin Spaniel Society field trials?
I have papers with mine and he will not breed and he's not going to be in field trials. Just had a good relationship with the breeder. He is the best dog i've ever had though and has ther personality to go with it

It would help to know what kind of game your dog is going to be boykin. Now if he boykin them good enough so they surrender then thats a 1000 dollar dog. If you have to give him any blue pills then I wouldn't pay anything for him. That how I do my boykin puppies .Just had to say it sorry if it made you mad.

looking at buying a Boykin spaniel. is it worth the money to get one with all the papers and certs, at least $1000. or no papers, about $300? this will be my first gun dog and I am not sure if it will be worth it. thanx

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom