• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

can you reload steel cases ?

I have read articles about guys who have done it saying that they were able to get one reload out of them before the case split. That being said, brass is so cheap, many times free, it really isn't worth messing with. Not to mention the effort it would take to get the primers out and replaced.

There is such a thing as a hydraulic primer removal tool... basically uses fluid and pressure to push the primer out. Way too much trouble in my opinion.

I hadn't thought about the steel cases splitting.

Are you talking berdan steel cases, or boxer primed steel cases? Are you talking about straight walled pistol cases, or bottle neck rifle cases? I have reloaded a good bit of 9MM and .45 ACP that was Tula/Wolf steel case and they load just fine. Sized fine, gripped the bullet fine, and shot just as good as brass. There is a good bit of brass out there to reload (I have buckets of reloadable brass "brass"), but I kept reading the internet hyperbole about this and had to try it. They work just fine.

^^^^^ What EMC45 said^^^^^^
I had a MPA-45 carbine that was a lot of fun to shoot and ran great, but it had an oversized chamber that had a tendancy to bulge the side of the cases. I didnt want to destroy my .45 brass so I bought a couple of boxes of wolf just for that gun. Just for the heck of it I saved the cases and reloaded them.
Didnt have to make ANY changes to my reloading process. Was able to reload those steel cases about 4 or 5 times before they work hardened and started to split. Once I found the first few cracks after re-sizing I tossed the whole bunch. The Steel used is a fairly soft alloy and posed no problems, but will work harden and fail much sooner than brass.
Again, this is straight walled pistol with no crimp. No Idea about rifle cases, but Ive heard of people reloading 5.56 several times.

Back
Top Bottom