• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Carrying at state fair?

I was wondering the same thing. They still check at the gun show right? What law authorizes this search?

No law that I know of, unless they're saying the Cobb Civic Center is a government building or something. I think it's probably the same thing as with this state fair...private property rights trump your right to carry, so if the gunshow promoter or owner of the building says no carry, then it's no carry. You wouldn't be arrested if they found it on you, but you wouldn't be allowed to enter.

I was wondering the same thing. They still check at the gun show right? What law authorizes this search?

It's not a law that authorizes the search - By attending the event, you consent to a search. Don't want to be searched? Don't attend the event. Same rule applies on other private properties - If you go into someone's house, and they do not want you carrying a firearm on their property, they can ask you to leave. If you don't leave, you're trespassing.

There is no law authorizing the search, and you have the option to deny consent. The owner of the fair, gun show, etc also has the option to deny you entry to their function. If you dont want to be searched you can always not go...

It's not a law that authorizes the search - By attending the event, you consent to a search. Don't want to be searched? Don't attend the event. Same rule applies on other private properties - If you go into someone's house, and they do not want you carrying a firearm on their property, they can ask you to leave. If you don't leave, you're trespassing.

I agree, but the question is: Is the fair public or private? Are the officers in uniform acting for the county or private organization? Can I hire a police officer to stand at my door when I throw a party to keep out gingers, Latinos, or any other group I decide?

I agree, but the question is: Is the fair public or private? Are the officers in uniform acting for the county or private organization? Can I hire a police officer to stand at my door when I throw a party to keep out gingers, Latinos, or any other group I decide?

Fairgrounds are rented out, so the company running the event has the final say. Uniformed police officers are most likely working off-duty for extra cash. Yes, you could hire a cop to work security for your party, if you found one that was willing to do so.

Uniformed police officers are most likely working off-duty for extra cash. Yes, you could hire a cop to work security for your party, if you found one that was willing to do so.

Which really bugs me. I have no issue with cops moonlighting in any capacity be it private security, bodyguard, whatever. I DO, however have a problem with them wearing duty uniform and bringing the illusion of government, public authority to a privately hired position. This strikes me as an abuse of authority and a conflict of interest. If they want to spring for a private uniform, badge and equipment, fine. But if the uniform says APD or such then they should be ON DUTY for the municipality they work for. Sorry for the digression.

Fairgrounds are rented out, so the company running the event has the final say. Uniformed police officers are most likely working off-duty for extra cash. Yes, you could hire a cop to work security for your party, if you found one that was willing to do so.

Interesting. I can rent a public park for a weekend and treat it like private property.

Which really bugs me. I have no issue with cops moonlighting in any capacity be it private security, bodyguard, whatever. I DO, however have a problem with them wearing duty uniform and bringing the illusion of government, public authority to a privately hired position. This strikes me as an abuse of authority and a conflict of interest. If they want to spring for a private uniform, badge and equipment, fine. But if the uniform says APD or such then they should be ON DUTY for the municipality they work for. Sorry for the digression.

Yeah, I know I sure as hell couldn't do anything like that with my old Army uniform. Oh well.. Different standards, I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom