• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Crysler minivan Electrical issues

Will test tomorrow. I have a couple of multimeters and have used them before.
You need to check it under a simulated load. Pick up a cheap load tester and check it under a full charge. Or charge the battery and take it out of the van and to a parts store and theyll check it.

IMG_2801.PNG

Ended up stopping by Advanced auto last night .They load tested the battery, alternator and starter. All 3 tested good.
I left the car on the charger last night. Trickle mode was not enought to keep the battery full. It was down to 59% this morning. Finished lunch and will be testing for leaking circut using the MRM's link above.

Ended up stopping by Advanced auto last night .They load tested the battery, alternator and starter. All 3 tested good.
I left the car on the charger last night. Trickle mode was not enought to keep the battery full. It was down to 59% this morning. Finished lunch and will be testing for leaking circut using the MRM's link above.
Was this with the alarm fuse still removed?

I did not remove any fuses. Stupid me.
J13 IOD stands for Ignition Off Draw. It controls all of the devices that need power when vehicle is off: clock, dvd, radio, alarm, keyless entry. There are regular fuses subordinate to it that controll all those devices as well. I am about to pull out them one at a time to see what is drawing all that current. Link above to the Chrysler board was very helpful.
If I cannot fix the offending curcuit, I will try to drive with the fuse out until we can trade the van in this fall. If I cannot use van as is, we are trading it in for a Toyota van as soon as wife gets a job, hopefully this spring.

I think I might have solved my saga. With batery charged 100% draw was 1.291 amps. Started puling fuses. No change initially. Did not touch the main J13 IOD fuse, since I was looking for the specific circut. Pulled Acc/On relay, current dropped to 0.169 Amps. Put it back in, still 0.169 amp. Tried to start the car and could not start. Took a break while battery was charging and watched a Youtube video about searching for parasitic draws. Guy mentioned smart keys and how they keep the system on. Then it hit me. Van has a push start. Keys hang on the other side of the wall. I have been replacing batteries in the keyes every 6 months since I started parking the van there. Also when I charge the car battery, keys are still within a few feet of the van.
Moved them to the other side of the house, and did another draw test. Initial draw was 1.27 amps, and then dropped to 0.173 Amps. I might have found my problem! Charging battery for one last time, with the J13 fuse pulled, and then will try starting the van again.

Back
Top Bottom