Def can be deleted
Same egr

Newer 6.7 ford amazing engine
Trans not bad

Cummins well it's a cummins trans suck

New duramax is great engine fast and has the best trans out there Allison

Ford f650 has the best both worlds
Cummins engine and Allison trans

I always see posts on forums about "should I buy a diesel" and "which diesel is best". This is just my opinion, I'm not brand loyal, I've owned and driven diesels for 20 years, starting with NA 6.9s and running through just about every variation and model up to the DEF years.
Diesel motors are like 1911s.... not Glocks. They all have their quirks, each "brand" has it's upside and downside. They require more attention, more knowledge to maintain and more money, both upfront and long term.
Drivers that think they can buy a new diesel truck and drive 300k miles trouble free with only occasional oil changes are going to be sorely disappointed. Especially if they add a chip or tune without taking into consideration the extra wear the increased power adds to stock components designed for stock power.

My current fleet is a E99 F250 7.3 with 235k and an 05 Duramax with 150k. I do my own maintenance, all of it. I tow every day and drive a lot of miles. I research weak links and fix them before they become a problem. Oil and filter changes are regular, diesel is bought from known quality sources. As are parts.
My 7.3 is old, loud, outdated, slow as a tractor, and way underpowered compared to the new generation - but it works and roadside repairs are easy. It just doesn't quit.
My DMAX is fast, quiet, comfortable, and the Allison is a beautiful trans to tow with. Maintenance is harder, a 4 hour job on a 7.3 is 8 on a DMAX, generally speaking. Lots more widgets and wires and a totally different animal, but I like it.

Best advice I can give to a prospective owner is this: Find the truck you like, they all drive different. Research dedicated diesel forums for known issues for that model and decide if you're willing to add the repair costs to whatever budget you have to purchase said truck. If not, pick another one. Or research then drive.
Learn how to work on it yourself or find a good DIESEL shop before you need it. You will need it. Shade Tree Joe is not a diesel mechanic. Parts swapping can be very expensive for you. Just because the scanner says #8 injector is bad doesn't mean it is....
Avoid anything that looks like it's had a hard life, been abused, shows signs of bad leaks, has funky coolant, or evidence of power adders. A beautiful, new truck that Bubba "chipped" and ran on race tune with his stock trans.... is going to cost you.
Realize $29.95 oil changes don't exist for you anymore. More like $100+. Then add for fuel filters.
Realize the need for quality fuel is paramount to reliability, can't shop by price alone.
Realize any part specific to a diesel is more expensive. A $12 small block Chevy thermostat is $50+ on a DMAX... and it has 2 of them.
Realize insurance is usually more. 3/4 and 1 tons are typically more costly to insure.
Realize if you use it for your business you may fall into the 10k GVWR red tape nightmare that is the DOT & FMCSA.
Realize people lie on the Internet. Nobody is getting 25mpg in a 1 ton dually towing 10k at 80 mph. I average 9mpg in the 7.3 and 14.5 in the DMAX towing roughly 7k every day, mix driving. That's hand calculated mileage over tens of thousands of miles.

Realize they're just like a 1911.... properly maintained, rigorous service, and preventive maintenance will give you a dead nuts reliable work horse. Anything less, it may or may not work when you need it and will undoubtedly be an expensive source of frustration to deal with along the way.

Just my opinion.... Feel free to chime in ;)
what i dont understand or never have understood is the allure of a diesel..as civilian or non trucking industry...the over all cost of maintenance and capital investment into said trucks is just ridiculous...cost per mile vs cost per gallon of fuel...yearly maintenance schedule...gas stations for regular petrol are every where..most diesel stations are located on interstates and less in rural areas...I drive a Chevy 2500 HD with the 6.0 gas motor i get 220k on them before we trade them...beat on daily pull same amount of weight and cost is less all around period. so that being said and your research may vary but..mathematics ( the thing you didnt think you were ever going to need outside school) never lie..

my 7.3 depends on conditions driven in, highway vs. city. dusty roads vs. hwy. temps, look, smell and taste of oil. oil analysis in dod specs helped id part failure. i never use synthetic , cost prohibitive. rarely do i hear of failure due to bad oils. imho.

I drive a 07.5 duramax with ALL emissions deleted/rerouted. I do all my own maintenance and love driving this truck. 160k on it now and I 'll be driving it until the wheels fall off...or I can afford a second one.

2006 GMC 3500 4x4 with the 6.6 LBZ Duramax and Allison 6 speed transmission with only 45,000 miles on it. It is all stock and never has had any programmers etc on it. If I didn't have a 5th wheel, I wouldn't have a need for a diesel. The OP made a good point when it comes to diesels.

advertise.jpg

Back
Top Bottom