• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Diesel truck recommendation

I did have a used 2011 4x4 extra cab that had 27K miles on it. Check our website www.mybufordchevy.com and see if it is there. Great deal on a super clean truck. If you see it and like it call me 478-998-2011 -Sandy

edit- it is a Chevrolet and it is silver. No scratches or dents. Super clean truck.
looking for it on the web and cant find it.

I try to purchased used. A new Tundra would take me well past my 25-30k budget.
I ment a newer tundra than a newer diesel truck. Most people i know that have had or have a tundra love them, but I have no first hand experience with them. Toyotas do hold value very well though.
http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Ram-2500-Atlanta-d2102_L6054#listing=131319460
or cheaper
http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Ram-2500-Atlanta-d2102_L6054#listing=129350519_isFeatured

In my opinion, If you are set on a diesel, I suggest that you find a low mileage LBZ Duramax diesel with the 6 speed Allison transmission. I own an 06 GMC 3500 4x4 dually with only 45,000 miles on it and could not be happier. The ride is comfortable enough to use it as my daily driver as well as towing my 5th wheel. It is impressive while towing a 13,000lb 5th wheel. At 70mph on the interstate, I'm cruising at around 2000rpm and I average 10-12 mpg, not towing I average 16-18mpg. I recently bought a Bullydog programmer for the added torque and fuel economy while towing, but I have not installed it yet.
If you are just "wanting" a diesel for the hell of it, I say stick to a gas truck. Diesel trucks costs more to maintain and fuel is higher than gas. An average oil change is $100-$150, depending on the brand of oil, filter and the labor, etc. Every other oil change you should change your fuel filter which will set you back another $100 (parts and labor) unless you perform your own maintenance, plus the recommended fuel additives, etc and last but not least, if anything on a diesel breaks, such as engine or tranny, it is gonna cost you mega bucks.
Best of luck in your search.

With all the government regulations, it's no wonder diesels suck nowadays. They're not solid like the used to be (5.9 cummins, 7.3 powerstroke). Although, I've read that the 6.7 powerstroke is about as solid as modern diesels get, the new 7.3

Avoid diesels if possible though. Everyone I know with one told me not to bother with one unless I really need it (was eyeballing some F-250's a while back). Definitely avoid the 6.4 powerstroke - it's a piece of ****, and regardless of what anyone tells you, it can't be bulletproofed it just can't. The 6.0's are ok if they've been bulletproofed (and I'd demand documentation). If not, you're going to spend $5k +/- to bulletproof it when the injectors flood the motor or a head gasket ****s out.

Look for an '06 Dodge 5.9 Cummins. Pre emissions.
I own all 3 Dodge, Ford, GMC.

Not a dimes worth of difference in the trucks, mostly personal preference. But engines are a completely different thing.
Cummins and Duramax are good to go.
Factory ford power strokes need a lot of work ( bullet proofing ). Stock they are junk. They can be made solid but if you put a stock power stroke to work, it will puke. The '03 and earlier 7.3 would be the exception.

The new emissions requirements on Diesel engines has completely changed the game. Either buy pre-emissions or by new. You will need the warranty.

I drive a 2014 dodge Laramie 4X4 3/4 ton with a Cummins Turbo, my business partner has a 2014 Ford F250 Lariat 3/4 4X4 diesel. I like both trucks (I have a lot of time behind the wheel of both) for daily driving and pulling a trailer. I have put 35,000 miles on my Dodge since February of this year, the truck constantly has around 1,500LBS in the bed at all times (tools, Pack Rat, Bed Slide, parts, etc.) and it pulls/rides like an empty vehicle. I pull a trailer (off and on) all over the country, it's 14 feet, tandem axle, 7.5 feet tall enclosed model; I usually have about 3,500 to 4,000 lbs loaded on it (not too much) and I usually drive with the Tow/Haul on and run on the cruise control - no issues.

My last truck was a very nice Dodge Laramie with a Hemi (gas model) and I can tell you that I won't go back to regular gas. Diesels are made to work and it's obvious after you spend some time behind the wheel of one. My vote is for Dodge 1st, then Ford, and if you don't plan on working it too hard...go Chevy :D

x2 on the powerstroke. ford owns cummins and they don't use them in their trucks. that says alot

It would say a lot if it were true. If they are so great, why Ford has gone through 3 engine changes in the past 13 years. With that said, the new 6.7L Fords seem to be a lot better than any of the last 6.0 and 6.4 engines. Also, they do or did use Cummins engines in the larger trucks like the F650.
But I still would chose a Cummins in a heartbeat.

Look for an '06 Dodge 5.9 Cummins. Pre emissions.
I own all 3 Dodge, Ford, GMC.

Not a dimes worth of difference in the trucks, mostly personal preference. But engines are a completely different thing.
Cummins and Duramax are good to go.
Factory ford power strokes need a lot of work ( bullet proofing ). Stock they are junk. They can be made solid but if you put a stock power stroke to work, it will puke. The '03 and earlier 7.3 would be the exception.

The new emissions requirements on Diesel engines has completely changed the game. Either buy pre-emissions or by new. You will need the warranty.

We have 3 turbo diesel Sprinters, an 06, a 12 and a 14. The 06 is almost to 400,000 miles and short of wear and tear items and a diesel leak it has been flawless with 28mpg unloaded. The 12 get 20-22mpg tops and has had check engine light after check engine light and currently it is experiencing loss of boost pressure. The 14 had to go back to the dealer in the first 3 months for a DEF related warranty issue and also gets 20-22 mpg tops. I wish all three were pre DEF now.

Back
Top Bottom