• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Diesel truck recommendation

I ment a newer tundra than a newer diesel truck. Most people i know that have had or have a tundra love them, but I have no first hand experience with them. Toyotas do hold value very well though.
http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Ram-2500-Atlanta-d2102_L6054#listing=131319460
or cheaper
http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Ram-2500-Atlanta-d2102_L6054#listing=129350519_isFeatured
I've driven lots of pickups owned by the company I work for
F-350 7.3 diesel
First and second gen Tundras
04 and 07 Chevys

The tundra was my favorite by far
The 5.7 is a very powerful engine and gets super mpg and the 6 speed Trans is smooth as butter

I'm currently driving a 07 3/4 ton Chevy 6.0 and it doesn't have as much power and the Trans is very rough compared to the tundra and it gets 13.5 on the highway and the tundra gets 18 highway

And the tundra rides waaay smoother
A 3/4 ton 4wd Chevy rides very rough. And the 07 I'm driving rattles and squeaks

However Toyota dealers are not advertising $10K off sticker price either , they don't have to offer huge rebates to sell their vehicles
And evidently they don't do the fake "jack up the price so we can mark it down and make the silly customers think they are getting a deal " game

In the last week I've heard radio commercials for ford and Chevy dealers advertising $10K off sticker and it wasn't but a couple years ago a lot of dodge dealers were advertising 1/2 off sticker

Anyhoo. If you don't tow heavy loads two or three days a week a diesel is not worth it

Just stay away from the fords with the 4.6 or 5.4 engines. They are total garbage
They spit out spark plugs. They break off spark plugs. The variable valve timing screws up in every one

I'd spend the extra and get a 4wd though. A 2wd pickup is useless. You will get stuck the first time you put one wheel in wet grass even though the other one is on pavement

And in GA the 3/4 tons are exempt from the emission test
The company i work for is now buying all 3/4 tons just for that reason even though the3/4 tons use a lot more gas

They send the pickups and workers all over the country and GA won't accept an emissions test done by any other state

They had to ship 8 pickups back from California and Utah to GA to get the stupid emission test so they could renew the tag

Last edited:
The worst thing you can do to one of the new diesels with the DEF is drive them as a commuter.

If you're not pulling often you're better getting a gas burner or buying an older diesel to tow with like an old 7.3 ford and get a smaller car or pickup to use as your commuter

have had my 99 f250 SD 7.3 since 2001. awesome truck. power, room and the turbo throws you back in the seat when you need it. towed livestocked goosenecks without knowing a trailer was hooked up. our regular maintenance has made this a no problem truck with 120k. love it and was thinking about selling it. were out of livestock and horse business. our other trailers could be pulled by anything else. glw purchase.

I've driven lots of pickups owned by the company I work for
F-350 7.3 diesel
First and second gen Tundras
04 and 07 Chevys

The tundra was my favorite by far
The 5.7 is a very powerful engine and gets super mpg and the 6 speed Trans is smooth as butter

I'm currently driving a 07 3/4 ton Chevy 6.0 and it doesn't have as much power and the Trans is very rough compared to the tundra and it gets 13.5 on the highway and the tundra gets 18 highway

And the tundra rides waaay smoother
A 3/4 ton 4wd Chevy rides very rough. And the 07 I'm driving rattles and squeaks

However Toyota dealers are not advertising $10K off sticker price either , they don't have to offer huge rebates to sell their vehicles
And evidently they don't do the fake "jack up the price so we can mark it down and make the silly customers think they are getting a deal " game

In the last week I've heard radio commercials for ford and Chevy dealers advertising $10K off sticker and it wasn't but a couple years ago a lot of dodge dealers were advertising 1/2 off sticker

Anyhoo. If you don't tow heavy loads two or three days a week a diesel is not worth it

Just stay away from the fords with the 4.6 or 5.4 engines. They are total garbage
They spit out spark plugs. They break off spark plugs. The variable valve timing screws up in every one

I'd spend the extra and get a 4wd though. A 2wd pickup is useless. You will get stuck the first time you put one wheel in wet grass even though the other one is on pavement

And in GA the 3/4 tons are exempt from the emission test
The company i work for is now buying all 3/4 tons just for that reason even though the3/4 tons use a lot more gas

They send the pickups and workers all over the country and GA won't accept an emissions test done by any other state

They had to ship 8 pickups back from California and Utah to GA to get the stupid emission test so they could renew the tag
i have done a lot of looking today. I am starting to see that i need to
have had my 99 f250 SD 7.3 since 2001. awesome truck. power, room and the turbo throws you back in the seat when you need it. towed livestocked goosenecks without knowing a trailer was hooked up. our regular maintenance has made this a no problem truck with 120k. love it and was thinking about selling it. were out of livestock and horse business. our other trailers could be pulled by anything else. glw purchase.

are you selling the 7.3?

Depends on if you're buying new or old, as in pre 2003, ford or dodge are both good. 2003-2006 dodge over the others. 2007 till now, chevy only! The 6.7 ford has a 50/50 record and dodge still can't build an automatic transmission to hold the power the make. Otherwise just get a chevy / a 6.0 gas engine or 8.1 gas and a six speed Allison.

Well....after all the research and recommendations I'm sticking with a gas burner. I had no clue upkeep on diesel cost so stinking much. For simply pulling a camper a diesel would be overkill for a everyday commuter truck.

I'm going to buy a used tundra and run it till it dies. Thanks everyone for taking the time to answer my questions. You guys are top notch!! Happy new year and God Bless.

I like the tundra
They have about 9 places inside to hold sunglasses , my current company truck a 07 Chevy has zero places to stash sunglasses . Phone chargers ,chewing gum and all the other stuff that accumulates in your daily driver

if you get the bucket seats in front, The console is large enough to store a laptop
And the 5.7 engine power is incredible
Most come with a back up camera , and on mine the headlights were adjustable with a knob on the dash so you can aim the lights up or down where you like em
The rear window powers down so you can slide long pipes or lumber in the cab , I regularly carried 20 foot sticks of pvc pipe , throw a towel or jacket on the dash and slide the pipe in

And they spent a lot of time designing the exhaust and intake
When you floor it and accelerate , it sounds very nice ! Not loud , just a powerful sound while its pushing you back in the seat

The rear springs are a little soft
It rides great but sags easily with a trailer
So you need to add the booster air bag things

And get the 4wd. My company tundra was a 2wd and you can get stuck very easily in a 2 wd

The other advantage to a tundra is all the auto manufacturers have to comply with the CAFE requirements for mpg

Toyota doesn't sell tundras like ford sells F-150s so the tundra can still have a powerful V-8 , because the sell enough priuses and corollas so a powerful pickup won't skew their CAFE rating
but mine got 14.5 in mixed city driving and 18 on the interstate and 10 when I was towing

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom