• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do you think.....

I've got the Oakley Flak jacket XLJ (LE/Military issue, matte black with no "oakley" on the nose) with the polarized blue lenses. They will not fall off my head no matter what I'm doing. Wet, dry, running, chopping a tree down, driving a boat, doesn't matter. They don't move. The polalizing is in the lenses not just a coating so it's never coming off. You can't beat Oakley for performance eye wear.

Over the years I have known hardcore fisherman (many who guide for a living) who have owned both Oakley and Costa. For strictly fishing and the ability to see fish below the surface, almost everyone of them said the Costa Del Mars beats Oakley, or any other brand for that matter - bar none. I do not know myself, but these guys are out there at least 4 times a week, and they know what they're talking about. That's probably the biggest reason my wife ended up getting the Costa Del Mars instead of less expensive competitors.

I fly fish a good bit and it's important to see into the water and read it. I've always bought Strike Kings from Walmart ($15) and never had a problem. A few years ago I bought a pair of Costas ($120) and couldn't tell the difference. Then I lost them. I now am on my 2nd pair of Strike Kings this year.

Over the years I have known hardcore fisherman (many who guide for a living) who have owned both Oakley and Costa. For strictly fishing and the ability to see fish below the surface, almost everyone of them said the Costa Del Mars beats Oakley, or any other brand for that matter - bar none. I do not know myself, but these guys are out there at least 4 times a week, and they know what they're talking about. That's probably the biggest reason my wife ended up getting the Costa Del Mars instead of less expensive competitors.

Well I can't argue that at all. I don't really use them for fishing. I do use them for many outdoor activties that are slightly more "active" than fishing so for me Oakley is superior. Try doing some full gear run and gun in an AR/pistol class when it's 95 degrees outside, trail running, playing baseball or a Spartan run wearing your Costas and let me know how that goes. :)

I had a pair of Costas in the mid 90s with prescription lenses. I didn't care too much for that particular frame model I mistakenly chose because they were big and bulky, and eventually the frame itself broke. I decided at that time I would not spend that kind of money on prescription sunglasses ever again. But I played in a softball league then, in 90 degree temps, and had an adjustable band around the back of my head to secure them. I had no problem with them coming off at all. :D

If you are able to keep yours on without any kind of strap, then that's great. I'm glad your happy with them!

But when you say You can't beat Oakley for performance eye wear, they absolutely can be beat for certain applications. And that's coming from pros who have more experience in that particular activity than you and I combined.

I had a pair of Costas in the mid 90s with prescription lenses. I didn't care too much for that particular frame model I mistakenly chose because they were big and bulky, and eventually the frame itself broke. I decided at that time I would not spend that kind of money on prescription sunglasses ever again. But I played in a softball league then, in 90 degree temps, and had an adjustable band around the back of my head to secure them. I had no problem with them coming off at all. :D

If you are able to keep yours on without any kind of strap, then that's great. I'm glad your happy with them!

But when you say You can't beat Oakley for performance eye wear, they absolutely can be beat for certain applications. And that's coming from pros who have more experience in that particular activity than you and I combined.

Well I digress. My blanket statement was to far reaching as no one tool is superior in all situations and climates. :focus:

My job requires that I work on a lot of white rubber roofs (some of them are 500,000' or larger) so sunglasses are a big deal for me. I don't mind spending money on something that I'll use. I spent some time researching glasses and ended up purchasing a pari of COSTAS. I purchased them for the polarization, I have the 580G lens (blue) and they are like looking at things in high def, I even wear them when I am driving in heavy rain some times because I can see more of what is going on. I tried on some MAUI JIM sunglasses that had a very similar polarization but they were definitely not made for work - too flimsy to wear climbing in and out of equipment. I put on a pair of croakies and the glasses stay in place with no fear of falling off.

I'm not saying they are the end all / be all of glasses but in my experience, you can't beat the lens quality. Like I said, I take care of my glasses - I've had theses for about 4 years and there isn't a scratch on the lens (the frames have scratches from hitting them on equipment), they are definitely an investment though.

Back
Top Bottom