Dog attack, I froze

I don't think there is one method that can back a dog down every time. Usually, I'll loudly tell it to sit, like I expect it to obey (accompanied by a finger pointed over their head). That works maybe 25% of the time. If they are in my yard, I will usually have a shovel that I can bang on the concrete as I approach them. Haven't had one stand up to that yet, but I'm sure it will happen one day. Luckily, a shovel makes a very good stand off tool.

Good response. If you are going to bluff, make it a good one and hope the dog is bluffing, too. LOL!

I wasn't bluffing at all.

I think animals can tell if you are fully committed plus I was already mentally prepared for the worst.
Just like in using a gun for self defense mindset is critical.
The old saying that, "You can't form a plan in the middle of a fight" is pretty accurate in my experience.

Anytime you run or ride a bike there is chance of being attacked by a dog.
The only part of my "plan" I didn't do is take my shirt off & wrap it around my left arm as makeshift armor.
The dog while being an animal was only 50-65 lbs.
Most men are capable of beating or even killing an average sized dog.
It's the surprise of the attack when you're not mentally prepared for it combined with the animals ferocious nature that works against most people.
How often do you see a 200lb. man recoil from a snarling 5 lb. Chihuahua?
The Chihuahua is fully committed to fight whereas the man isn't.

I spend a lot of time in the classroom discussing predator/ prey behavior as it is essentially the same in our world as in the animal world.
Predators don't "like" attacking other predators & will usually avoid doing so if possible.
Why do criminals often run away when a gun is pointed at them from a small woman or weaker elderly person who seems committed to use it?
The "victim" using the gun as a tool (along with proper mindset) turns the tables on the attacker who wanted a weak victim (prey) & now has become the prey/ victim.

Last edited:
I wasn't bluffing at all.

I think animals can tell if you are fully committed plus I was already mentally prepared for the worst.
Just like in using a gun for self defense mindset is critical.
The old saying that, "You can't form a plan in the middle of a fight" is pretty accurate in my experience.

Anytime you run or ride a bike there is chance of being attacked by a dog.
The only part of my "plan" I didn't do is take my shirt off & wrap it around my left arm as makeshift armor.
The dog while being an animal was only 50-65 lbs.
Most men are capable of beating or even killing an average sized dog.
It's the surprise of the attack when you're not mentally prepared for it combined with the animals ferocious nature that works against most people.
How often do you see a 200lb. man recoil from a snarling 5 lb. Chihuahua?
The Chihuahua is fully committed to fight whereas the man isn't.

I spend a lot of time in the classroom discussing predator/ prey behavior as it is essentially the same in our world as in the animal world.
Predators don't "like" attacking other predators & will usually avoid doing so if possible.
Why do criminals often run away when a gun is pointed at them from a small woman or weaker elderly person who seems committed to use it?
The "victim" using the gun as a tool (along with proper mindset) turns the tables on the attacker who wanted a weak victim (prey) now becomes the prey/ victim.

When I said bluff, I didn't mean you were not prepared to go for it. The idea is to make the dog think you WANT the conflict. If you're intent is to make the dog back off rather than seeking a real fight with them, it's a bluff.

When I said bluff, I didn't mean you were not prepared to go for it. The idea is to make the dog think you WANT the conflict. If you're intent is to make the dog back off rather than seeking a real fight with them, it's a bluff.

In that case... agreed.
I just don't call that a bluff but I understand what you mean.

In that case... agreed.
I just don't call that a bluff but I understand what you mean.

Haha yea you two are on the same page. Just a little fun with some semantics there.

Haha yea you two are on the same page. Just a little fun with some semantics there.

When dealing with a dog, it's more than semantics. Dogs can read human body language so well they are often attributed supernatural powers. If your thought is to just back the dog off it might not be enough to work unless you are a very good actor. You have to make them believe that you have the attitude of "Oh hell yeah! Let's do this!"

So if a dog freezes....do you attack?

If the dog has frozen, they have stopped their attack so no need. I'm talking about when a dog is actively coming at you.

If they stop the attack you stop, too and hope it turns into a situation where you both simply agree to disagree and go on your ways.

Back
Top Bottom