• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ever had to draw your CCW or been tempted to???

last year 4 days before Christmas in Snellville. Wife and i carrying gifts to our car, hands were full. As I reached for my keys they fell to the ground, of course, under the truck beside mt car, as I crawled under the truck and came out I looked up and saw a guy heading straight at my wife! About 20 ft from her..I never thought about it, just yelled at him & reached for my 380 but he heard me, he looked at me and ran in the opposite direction really fast! I can ONLY guess he saw my wife, as a target and was on his way to take what he wanted, glad he ran! AND this is SNELLVILLE! (

I just picked this one for reference.
There are a good bit of stories on here like this one where the ODT'er either almost pulled their weapon but the situation diffused itself or they did pull their weapon and doing that diffused the situation. I have always been taught like most on here that you have to be mentally ready to accept the consequences if you pull your gun and use it.
Now not having to pull your gun and getting out of the situation another way is always better but it seems like some of the guys on here are downing some others for pulling their gun out which helped to difuse the situation. If it comes down to it and I have to bring out the pistol to get someone to leave wouldn't that also be good? I would still be ready to use it if nessasary, just didn't have to.

The reason I decided to start carrying happened about 10 years ago while sitting at the light at panola road and I-20. Three guys were running through the traffic from I guess the police helicopter that was spotlighting that area "assuming looking for those 3 guys". One of them ran past my truck, stopped and turned back. He came up to my window and tried the handle. Door was locked and light turned green we started moving. He punched my door and started running again. The next day I went to the store. I have thought this over a few times being this was the first time something like this has happened to me. "Being 6'1" 250 shaved head, I am Kind of a scary looking guy so I don't get picked on much". If I had a gun at that time and the light didn't change so soon and he was beating on my truck trying to get in, would I have pulled it? Possibly.

Sometime the situation diffuses itself when your gum clears the holster. Most criminals are looking for an easy prey. Some think your bluffing, but when they see you're not, they realize their life is worth more than your wallet. Then there are cases where you may show your gun, they keep coming, you shout a command and draw down, they keep coming, you pop once, reassess the situation, and find reason to put more rounds on target. We discussed drawing prematurely in wills street survival course in a simulation. Myself, a few other members and willr1 "harassed" fellow member Luke.
the scenario was laid out that we were to push his buttons, stress him out, but not attack. So we began to circle him, he places his hand on his hip, tells us to back down. Will says I'm just coming to take a leak and gets almost right beside him. Luke said several times that we needed to back up, we failed to comply. Eventually one Guy reaches for something and advances, so Luke drew down. That diffused the situation. Luke was against 4 guys, failing to comply, he felt his life wad threatened and drew, (willing to use it) but it caused the situation to diffuse.

All drills we did for situational awareness/shoot don't shoot used airsoft guns and face masks.

Basically, if you place your hand on your hip. you better be ready to draw. If you draw, you better be ready to shoot
You may not have to draw after placing your hand there, or shoot after drawing, but you better be ready. And you better have reasons behind drawing.

Very True.
You know, its one of those things that you have to be ready for and you feel comforted to have a ccw but at the same time, once that trigger is pulled yours and your families life will change forever.

Pull it. I almost pulled on 2 bums at QT once. Each was about my height, about my weight. Bum 1 asked me for money and I said "sorry, can't help you". He countered with "well **** you, you asshole prick". That immediately stopped me. I said "well guess what? I just got off work. Maybe if you actually worked, you fat ****, you wouldn't have to ask for money at a gas station." Bum 2 popped out from behind a car walking toward me. My right hand went on my LCP at this point. I continued to walk into the store and bum 2 followed, making threats and cussing. I told to "get the **** away from me before we had serious issues", and the store staff even went on to tell him that he couldn't come in being loud and using profanity. I got paranoid and thought oh hell, they're gonna key my car, so I stayed where I could keep an eye on them. When I went back out to pump gas, they were both off to the side, but I knew that if they came back to my pump, I was gonna draw. Better to draw and have the upper hand than end up in a hospital. Had it been one bum, I'd have been willing to go fist for fist. But two full grown, healthy adults against one is not an even match, and I'd have had to do something to even the playing field.

Not trying to be an arm chair QB here but that's not the best way to convince a jury that someone came at you completely unprovoked if you ever have to use your weapon. Just my $0.02

Back
Top Bottom