• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Eye Opening Open Carry Experience

So to put this thread into perspective, the main argument is the definition of what individuals perceive as "potential threat". What you perceive as a potential to be a threat, to you or your family. It seems to me that we all have different opinions on perceived threats. Perceived threats being defined as: What has the potential to do you or your family harm if they wanted to.

This just tells me that preservation of life, awareness of surroundings, intelligence, geographic location, life experiences, all change you perceptions of safety. Pretty interesting...............

Last edited:
So to put this thread into perspective, the main argument is the definition of what individuals perceive as "potential threat". What you perceive as a potential to be a threat, to you or your family. It seems to me that we all have different opinions on perceived threats. Perceived threats being defined as: What has the potential to do you or your family harm if they wanted to.

This just tells me that preservation of life, awareness of surroundings, intelligence, geographic location, life experiences, all change you perceptions of safety. Pretty interesting, thanks for playing..

Both you and Geaux are quite the thinkers. I enjoyed reading your debate.

Both you and Geaux are quite the thinkers. I enjoyed reading your debate.

He has an exceptional point that I have really opened up to. I understand that's his point of view. I just cant get passed my own perception of what safe surroundings are, defined as. 2+ years in Afghanistan and being trained to be aware of crazy situations and surroundings I'm sure has a bit of impacted on my life paradigm.

Last edited:
He has an exceptional point that I have really opened up to. I understand that's his point of view. I just cant get passed my own perception of what safe surroundings are, defined as. 2+ years in Afghanistan and being trained to be aware of crazy situations and surroundings I'm sure has a bit of impacted on my life paradigm.
I'm sure that's the issue and a fair one.
My comments were more general statements about gun owners being more paranoid (for lack of a beter term) when they see another gun owner. Imagine two gun owners noticing each other printing at WalMart and both go into condition orange (or higher) for NO other reason than 'that OTHER guy' has a gun. It's kind of comical, but in my view it's sad, and detrimental. I always imagine the non-gun owner with one of those guys who was trying to get comfortable around gun owners thanks to his friend's encouragement and then he sees his buddy's spidey sense tingle at the mere sight or suspicion of a fellow gun owner. :confused: Talk about mixed messages.... :grey:

If the gun is holstered I'm fine with it. But I also take a note of the person's demeanor. If you're walking around with a gun in your hand, I'm definitely condition orange at the very least, again evaluating your demeanor.

If I note that some one is OC or printing, I view them as having potential to present a threat.

Everyone has the potential to be a threat. The guy you see openly carrying a handgun or printing is more than likely less of a threat than the guy standing beside him with his handgun in his waistband that you don't see. Do you take note of everyone around you the same as you do those who you know have a firearm? What about a knife in a sheath?

This just tells me that preservation of life, awareness of surroundings, intelligence, geographic location, life experiences, all change you perceptions of safety. Pretty interesting...............

This is interesting.
Everybody I meet asks me if I'm a cop.....they may not say it right away but if I'm at a gathering , wedding, Christmas party, etc and am talking to someone with a good conversation I always get asked if I'm a cop.....or they say " You look like a cop."
My Wife laughs especially if we go places where teenagers are because a lot of their eyes get real big and form a guilty...."I think I may have to run" look on their face.....it's hilarious.

I can almost spot out the trouble makers just by the way they look at me which goes along with your comments on perception.

That being said I don't try to attract any extra attention to myself by open carrying as I always carry concealed unless I am hunting then I'm open carry on my hip or chest rig.

As far as my thoughts on open carry I think that young guys do it because they can when they start carrying as I did admittedly for a little while until I noticed it may not be such a good idea as it did cause extra attention to myself but the fact that "I look like a cop" must have helped....LOL.

This is interesting.
Everybody I meet asks me if I'm a cop.....they may not say it right away but if I'm at a gathering , wedding, Christmas party, etc and am talking to someone with a good conversation I always get asked if I'm a cop.....or they say " You look like a cop."
My Wife laughs especially if we go places where teenagers are because a lot of their eyes get real big and form a guilty...."I think I may have to run" look on their face.....it's hilarious.

I can almost spot out the trouble makers just by the way they look at me which goes along with your comments on perception.

That being said I don't try to attract any extra attention to myself by open carrying as I always carry concealed unless I am hunting then I'm open carry on my hip or chest rig.

As far as my thoughts on open carry I think that young guys do it because they can when they start carrying as I did admittedly for a little while until I noticed it may not be such a good idea as it did cause extra attention to myself but the fact that "I look like a cop" must have helped....LOL.

My son and I do not look like cops. Perhaps that explains why the waitress asked if we were under cover... I would think an under cover officer would not open carry.

My son and I do not look like cops. Perhaps that explains why the waitress asked if we were under cover... I would think an under cover officer would not open carry.

i was asked if i was an undercover cop by the mechanic when i took my car to get emission tested once, if someone sees open carry many just assume your a cop. it's kinda sad that's all it takes to be thought of as a cop really

Back
Top Bottom