• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Eye Opening Open Carry Experience

Here are a few supporting articles for you. From a tactical standpoint its a disadvantage. You take away the single advantage that a pistol has, surprise, small, and concealable.
http://chrishernandezauthor.com/201...rtly-ideological-argument-against-open-carry/
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/09/robert-farago/tactical-dont-open-carry-true-story/
http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/the-perils-of-open-carry

Well, those are also opinion pieces, just like this thread, with only 2 examples of someone who had his gun taken.
Not exactly a landslide of factual stuff.
If people were being shot daily because of open carry (we are not including gang to gang related stuff) I might think to only cc.
Until then, I will continue to carry either way, dependent on what I'm wearing/doing.

Your argument does not really stand up to a lot of scrutiny, it seems more of a personal choice possibly mixed with a little paranoia.
And yes, for me it is easier to open carry, because I'm not a slim person.
Either way is doable, but it is what it is.

Well, those are also opinion pieces, just like this thread, with only 2 examples of someone who had his gun taken.
Not exactly a landslide of factual stuff.
If people were being shot daily because of open carry (we are not including gang to gang related stuff) I might think to only cc.
Until then, I will continue to carry either way, dependent on what I'm wearing/doing.

Your argument does not really stand up to a lot of scrutiny, it seems more of a personal choice possibly mixed with a little paranoia.
And yes, for me it is easier to open carry, because I'm not a slim person.
Either way is doable, but it is what it is.

As I previously stated,
This thread just tells me that preservation of life, awareness of surroundings, intelligence, geographic location, life experiences, all change your perceptions of safety, or what's safe.
If you insist
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=470871

Last edited:
Wow... a whole 1 more.
If it were a prevalent problem, I might be concerned.
I know the press would be eating it up to get it on the front page if they could prove open carry gets you shot all the time.

And for the record, citing examples of a cop being shot with his own gun is ludicrous.
They are in close proximity to criminals at a much, much higher rate than we ever will be, so I'm sure plenty of them will lose in a wrestling match for their gun.
I can appreciate the line of thinking of being "a tactical advantage", but I just don't see it happening, or worrying about it like some people.
If you stay aware of what's going on around you, rather than being wrapped up texting Debbie about what you are going to do to her later, I find that to be much more of a tactical advantage than where my gun is at on my person.

Wow... a whole 1 more.
If it were a prevalent problem, I might be concerned.
I know the press would be eating it up to get it on the front page if they could prove open carry gets you shot all the time.

And for the record, citing examples of a cop being shot with his own gun is ludicrous.
They are in close proximity to criminals at a much, much higher rate than we ever will be, so I'm sure plenty of them will lose in a wrestling match for their gun.
I can appreciate the line of thinking of being "a tactical advantage", but I just don't see it happening, or worrying about it like some people.
If you stay aware of what's going on around you, rather than being wrapped up texting Debbie about what you are going to do to her later, I find that to be much more of a tactical advantage than where my gun is at on my person.
Maybe you are not worried because of geographic location? IDK

I agree. 90% of the folks I see OCing, are not aware of their surroundings enough to be safe...............

Last edited:
I'm the guy that doesn't sit in a restaurant with out a wall at my back and a view of the door. I don't miss anything.

That's not as good as you think. You limit your movement should something happen. Learn to use shiney surfaces to see all around you and sit near the middle where you have more choice in what you can do and where you can go should trouble come. Or you could do like my family and have people all around the table so someone is watching all directions. Just the same my son prefers to sit with his back to the wall as well and I generally let him choose the table. Far more valuable to just be aware of your surroundings.

But you didn't bother to answer my question. Are you going to think I am a threat when I open carry but no threat when I conceal? That seems silly to me as the person you need to worry most about is not likely to open carry.

Last edited:
As I previously stated,
This thread just tells me that preservation of life, awareness of surroundings, intelligence, geographic location, life experiences, all change your perceptions of safety, or what's safe.
If you insist
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=470871

Should I post articles where the criminals were caught and admitted they had not robbed a place because people where in there with firearms open carried? Far more times it happened no one knew anything as the criminal spotted the firearm and walked away to await another day or commit his intended crime elsewhere. Open carry does not deter crime it can and does however deter crime from happening in that time and place. Since I am in that time and place I like that.

IF it was an issue it would happen a whole lot more than it does and would be in the news quite often because the anti gun news people would be using it to show that carry of guns by civilians needs to be stopped.

Just as in nature, only the fool fails to profile, and only the simple minded think they have all the answers.
Never show your cards, act your best, and expect the worst. :)

That's not as good as you think. You limit your movement should something happen. Learn to use shiney surfaces to see all around you and sit near the middle where you have more choice in what you can do and where you can go should trouble come. Or you could do like my family and have people all around the table so someone is watching all directions. Just the same my son prefers to sit with his back to the wall as well and I generally let him choose the table. Far more valuable to just be aware of your surroundings.

But you didn't bother to answer my question. Are you going to think I am a threat when I open carry but no threat when I conceal? That seems silly to me as the person you need to worry most about is not likely to open carry.
Awnser, no. Why would anyone perceive a threat one way or another? The potential to pose a threat, doesn't mean there is a threat. As stated before gun or no gun all individuals unknown to you could be a threat. This doesnt mean that they are. As we learned as kids "Stranger Danger!" Noteing in my head that a individual has a weapon an nothing more than that. Its a subconscious action, just a automatic thing. Nothing more to it. Way to much is being lost in communication here.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom