• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

F. W. Woolworth's lunch counter menu 1970 - WOW!!

Woolworth I remember was on corner of E. Broughton and Abercorn. Same block was the
Avon which I frequented. OMG, Morrison's was wonderful. Egg custard is still my favorite pie.
Roxy was on the corner with one store in between it and the Avon iirc. State theater was across Broughton. They used to have specials on Saturday, double feature, serial, coke and hot dog all for a quarter. (Which was hard to come by for a kid in 1950).

Roxy was on the corner with one store in between it and the Avon iirc. State theater was across Broughton. They used to have specials on Saturday, double feature, serial, coke and hot dog all for a quarter. (Which was hard to come by for a kid in 1950).
Damn. A quarter was a lot of money to a little boy walking behind a plow mule in Tennille, Georgia in 1950 (my dad). He did remember on occasion, getting to go into town to watch the serials on Saturday with his older brother. And bonus! It was only a 6 mile walk into town and 6 miles home!

Any of ya'll ever dine in one of the facilities that had everything in a vending machine? Insert coins and a tray would rotate and you open the glass door to retrieve your selection. Might take 4 or 5 doors to get an entire meal. A specialty restaurant in 1950s Pennsylvania delivered all plates to you by a model train than ran a loop from the kitchen to a track in front of a counter and stools. The train had flatcars which had your order (plate of food, drink and dessert. As a 6 or 7 y/o, I was impressed!

Damn. A quarter was a lot of money to a little boy walking behind a plow mule in Tennille, Georgia in 1950 (my dad). He did remember on occasion, getting to go into town to watch the serials on Saturday with his older brother. And bonus! It was only a 6 mile walk into town and 6 miles home!

The things we did for money growing up!
Picking up bottles for the deposits, stripping scrap copper wire, raking yards, picking whatever was growing...young people today have no idea. Every penny was a prisoner.

I use to ride downtown on my 10 speed those days , not no more.
Anyone remember the trick and novelty store cati-corner to davidsons ?

1709763194500.png

Any of ya'll ever dine in one of the facilities that had everything in a vending machine? Insert coins and a tray would rotate and you open the glass door to retrieve your selection. Might take 4 or 5 doors to get an entire meal. A specialty restaurant in 1950s Pennsylvania delivered all plates to you by a model train than ran a loop from the kitchen to a track in front of a counter and stools. The train had flatcars which had your order (plate of food, drink and dessert. As a 6 or 7 y/o, I was impressed!
Automats.

Back
Top Bottom