• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

FAL vs AK

762 NATO is just as good as gold. I would sell if I had to, but if you plan on coming back to it I would keep it if able. It's not getting any cheaper. X39 and .223 go up and down like a roller coaster, but 308 surplus just keeps ticking up and up.

762 NATO is just as good as gold. I would sell if I had to, but if you plan on coming back to it I would keep it if able. It's not getting any cheaper. X39 and .223 go up and down like a roller coaster, but 308 surplus just keeps ticking up and up.

That's true....

I have an AK and a FAL and well I will keep both, I several AK's and only one FAL and Love the 308 for punch and the AK for Cheap ammo and a Hoot to shoot.
When I want long distance I go FAL and when I want Plinking and just general fun I choose AK.
Each fills a Niche and you can not go wrong with either, you just have to decide what your intent is, Long range or close in, Cheap ammo or Not Cheap ammo.
Lots to take in but I love both and you can pick up a WASR Cheap and man are they the Abuse Takers and just keep running (mine is a early one without canted sights).
But to be Fair I have several AK's, a couple of Norinco's and 2 Home builds on Nodak Spud receivers (Romy G kits) and of course my Truck Rifle the WASR.
My FAL I bought here on the ODT for a Cheap Price and just love the Feel and the way it shoots.
Now my Norinco's are not Tack Drivers but at 100 yards I can Get a few 5in groups and that is respectable with any rifle.
My AK's will kill any Target at 50 yards without thinking about it.
My AK's all run like Sewing machines and so does my FAL so reliability for either is not an Issue (yes you can get bad Crap in any rifle).
Just my observations on both rifles.
Now with all of that said if I had to choose one it would be the AK and that is because of Parts Availability, Ease of Maintenance, Reliability, and Cheap Ammo and of course Price point.
Hope this helps

Last edited:
Personally I think this guy is a dumb ass but this video says a lot about AK's...This one is a WASR 10, a workhorse of a rifle, I assure you.

From a "General Pourpose Rifle" standpoinnt. I would probabally go with the AK out of the threethe HK clones and the FALs ar longer range battle rifles and the weight reflects that. If im going to shoot a rifle a bunch and also use it for small game, defence, etc. I want something that is managable, doesnt take up much space and can easily be kept in my truck/home and doesnt break the bank to shoot.
That said, I would consider AR platforms, Ruger Mini 14 and 30s (depending on the perfered round you have) and many others. My preference is the SCAR but I also understand that most of us cant just run out and buy one on a whim.

He couldn't do it with 7.62x39 though. Too bad shemp doesn't like little holes.
I have not taken Vepr to 600 yards, but at 300 I had no problem hitting a gong. Need to adjust your aim, but that's what hold-over chevrons in POSP sight are for.

I have not taken Vepr to 600 yards, but at 300 I had no problem hitting a gong. Need to adjust your aim, but that's what hold-over chevrons in POSP sight are for.

300 is in that rounds range. It isn't capable of consistent hits at 600. The round probably goes subsonic around 500, and when that happens repeatability is out the window.

Back
Top Bottom