• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ford Truck Engines

The eco boost only gets good mileage if you drive with an egg under the pedal,would be more worried about the 10 speed transmission,not bad if you don't mind the constant bouncing back and fourth from gear hunting!

Best truck engine Ford ever made.

I'd give anything to be able to get a new one.

I'm not getting "turbo" anything. Same problem as "hybrids" - when the turbo/battery goes tits up, you're in for big bucks.
YES AND SIMPLE TO WORK ON AS LONG AS IT A HAD THE 4 SPEED TRANSMISSION THATS WHAT MADE IT STRONG IF HAD THAT 5 SPEED OVER DRIVE NOT SO MUCH

My brother in law had the Ecoboost and traded it in on a V8, the only negative he said was the difference in gas mileage. Other than that he could not be happier. The way I have always thought about it is I do not buy trucks to get good gas mileage. A truck is a tool used for work and towing. If you are that worried about gas mileage get a beater Honda to drive to work.

How much are you usually towing out of curiosity? First time I noticed the difference was picking it up from the dealer and went around a downhill corner, definitely had more body roll than our previous steel body. Towing, we try to bias it SLIGHTLY towards the tongue, seems to help keep the ass end planted without sacrificing steering and braking stability. Maybe we need to experiment more if you're having good results.

Which leads me to this if any of you guys haven't seen it. It's a pretty nice hitch with built in scale, makes it easier to judge positioning of stuff. Not sure if there are other brands similar but it's nice to have.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...&tag=rvlifenetwork-20&linkId=MJY3LYZG5YDK3ZH3

That is pretty neat! Im always way tongue heavy as id never want to be tongue lite and my 7.3 dually can take it.

In the HP sense you are correct. But for the person seeking to keep a vehicle a long time, there is no denying that over 200,000 miles, the parts in a 6 cylinder have done more work and have more wear than an 8 cylinder, and the parts in a large displacement 8 cylinder will have less wear than those in a smaller displacement 8 cylinder engine.

All of the rings, pistons, connecting rods, valves, bearings, crankshafts, camshafts, and such are made out of the same thing, and more RPM = more wear.

Short term the Eco-boost may match the HP of a V-8, but let's see what all that extra boost does the valves and rings and journals and bearings in 200,000 miles.

This is what im thinking as well

The coyote 5.0 is an aluminum block beast. It is twice the engine the old 302 was.
Im thinking of getting the exact truck you did.

I've still got a old 7.3 dually i use to pull the tractor and camper. But im thinking of retiring from my side business (landscape installation) in the next few years. Could i really pull 10,000 lbs on occasion with one of these trucks and not wear it out. Wo uld the transmission and rear end hold up?

Im thinking of getting the exact truck you did.

I've still got a old 7.3 dually i use to pull the tractor and camper. But im thinking of retiring from my side business (landscape installation) in the next few years. Could i really pull 10,000 lbs on occasion with one of these trucks and not wear it out. Wo uld the transmission and rear end hold up?

I would never tow so close to capacity. A 3.5 ecoboost with maxtow is rated to 14000 lbs or something crazy so I wouldn’t hesitate to tow 10,000 with it.

I would keep in mind though how much heavier the load is than the truck and rely heavily on the trailer brakes.

Back
Top Bottom