• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ford Truck Engines

My 94 f150 with the 6cylinder is one trip to the dump from hitting 300k. Been a great truck, I wish I had bought two of them.
That's awesome! Any vehicle that runs 300K is a keeper in my opinion. I am just wondering if your truck is an anomaly? I know they are good motors for occasional work and every day driving but for my needs , jI ust wouldn't trust one for work....

I think this pretty normal for the inline 6
When I was a young man I always liked Chevrolet, as I got older, I realized that for the most part, vehicles in general are pretty dependable as long as they are properly maintained and used according to their design. I have had many GM products, ford products and Chrysler products...no significant problems with any of them.
I personally buy vehicles based on intended use, I was only pointing out earlier that I wouldn't purchase a 6 cylinder truck for a work truck, I drive a 1 ton dually diesel for a work because I always have around 2,000 lbs in the bed and pull an enclosed trailer...A six cylinder truck may work for a little while, but not the way I use it...I did 65k miles in the past 11 months.

The 5.0L V8 is solid. For sheer longevity, I’d put my money there. The diesel is new and unproven and while the Ecoboosts have mostly been sorted, they’re simply more complicated designs.

Coming from someone who literally has a fleet of these at work, from 1/2-1 tons and beyond, this is the best answer you're going to get. The 3.5, and 2.7 do make more torque, but they honestly tow no better than the 5.0 and get worse gas mileage in our experience. From a dead stop towing our small skid steer, the 3.5 barely would edge out the 5.0 and got 2-3mpg worse. Not to mention, when something does go wrong as ours did, they are more costly to repair. We skipped on the new diesel as we already have 250/350s for that and only purchase the 1/2 tons with the 5.0 for now. Stick with the v8 as it's an excellent package. I would say this, if you're planning on towing and don't mind used or missing some of the newer amenities, the steel bodied 5.0 towed better imho. The aluminum bed took weight away in a crucial area and the newer trucks don't feel nearly as stable at speed.

Coming from someone who literally has a fleet of these at work, from 1/2-1 tons and beyond, this is the best answer you're going to get. The 3.5, and 2.7 do make more torque, but they honestly tow no better than the 5.0 and get worse gas mileage in our experience. From a dead stop towing our small skid steer, the 3.5 barely would edge out the 5.0 and got 2-3mpg worse. Not to mention, when something does go wrong as ours did, they are more costly to repair. We skipped on the new diesel as we already have 250/350s for that and only purchase the 1/2 tons with the 5.0 for now. Stick with the v8 as it's an excellent package. I would say this, if you're planning on towing and don't mind used or missing some of the newer amenities, the steel bodied 5.0 towed better imho. The aluminum bed took weight away in a crucial area and the newer trucks don't feel nearly as stable at speed.
Well said..

I don’t notice a big stability difference at high speeds (and I drive fastAF towing a heavy trailer)but for sure my steal truck did waaaaayyyyyyyyy better off road.

I don’t notice a big stability difference at high speeds (and I drive fastAF towing a heavy trailer)but for sure my steal truck did waaaaayyyyyyyyy better off road.

How much are you usually towing out of curiosity? First time I noticed the difference was picking it up from the dealer and went around a downhill corner, definitely had more body roll than our previous steel body. Towing, we try to bias it SLIGHTLY towards the tongue, seems to help keep the ass end planted without sacrificing steering and braking stability. Maybe we need to experiment more if you're having good results.

Which leads me to this if any of you guys haven't seen it. It's a pretty nice hitch with built in scale, makes it easier to judge positioning of stuff. Not sure if there are other brands similar but it's nice to have.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...&tag=rvlifenetwork-20&linkId=MJY3LYZG5YDK3ZH3

Back
Top Bottom